Week 8: Case Study
After transitioning out of the military, you were contracted by a medium-sized start-up company that processes credit card transactions on a daily basis. The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and other business staff have no knowledge of network security or the threats they face. They have an open position for a Chief Information Security Officer (CISO), but have yet to fill it. Thus, they hire you for your expertise in network security, firewalls, and VPN solutions.
This is a short term engagement that lasts 30 days. As the company's subject matter expert/consultant, the CEO wants a 4-6 page report at the end of your assignment. The CEO tells you they will have remote users, so firewall and VPN technologies are needed. They provide you with the following report outline to use:
2.0 Overview of network security fundamentals, security threats, and issues (discuss from a company wide standpoint).
3.0 Detailed network security recommendations4.0 Summary
Section 3.0 should include:
- Fundamentals of firewalls and VPNs
- Recommendations for firewall and VPN solutions for the new company
- Recommendations for implementing your proposed solutions
- Practices that you will use to ensure security within the enterprise if they hire you long term. You may make these as sub-sections if you'd like (e.g., 3.1 Fundamentals of Firewalls and VPNs, 3.2 Recommended Firewall and VPN Solutions, etc.)
This section should be short, a paragraph or two.
- Your submission should be 4 to 6 pages long (not including the title page and the reference page).
- All sections are represented (Sections 1.0 - 4.0).
- Paper is in APA format with proper citations and references.
- 1" margins.
- In Times New Roman or Arial font, font size 12.
- Utilized correct grammar and spelling.
- Include and cite references as needed.
- The key to this assignment is to demonstrate your understanding of the topics, not to re-word the text or reference material.