The Generalized Motor Program Theory (GMP) or Schema Theory and the Dynamical Systems Theory are the predominant behavior theories that address how the nervous system produces a movement. The debate of movement scientist and the contrasts of these theories centers on whether movement is created through hierarchical control in the nervous system (i.e., cortical control) or if movement control is distributed throughout cortical, subcortical, spinal, and even musculoskeletal levels of the nervous system. While compromise between these two theories may be possible, each theory has its respective adamant supporters who will argue for the support of one over the other. In this assignment, you will evaluate these theories to determine which theory you believe is the more plausible explanation.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Instructors will be using a grading rubric to grade the assignments. It is recommended that learners review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment in order to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
- This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
- You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the directions in the Student Success Center. Only Word documents can be submitted to LopesWrite.
Write an essay of 1,250-1,500 words in which you evaluate the General Motor Program Theory (GMP) and the Dynamical Systems Theory. In your essay, do the following:
1. Compare and contrast the GMP and the Dynamical Systems theories.
2. Provide empirical support for both of these theoretical perspectives.
3. Provide a rationale for subscribing to one theory over the other.
There needs to be a reference page. the more references the better. Thank you.