UNIT 7 TEXT QUESTIONS
- What is the Vitruvian Man? Describe this piece of art, including who the artist was and why this artwork is important.
- What is sfumato? What effect does it have in a painting?
- What are the characteristics of Mannerism? How does this style compare to that of the High Renaissance?
- What was the Renaissance? Describe this movement, including the dates it occurred and what the movement included. What did the movement emphasize?
- What is Early Netherlandish art?
Critical Thinking Questions
- Compare Netherlandish art to Renaissance art. What are the similarities and differences?
- What was a “Renaissance man”? How did the Renaissance artists fit into this?
- What are the characteristics of Renaissance art?
- Many art scholars have called the High Renaissance one of the greatest art periods in history. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Choose one art piece from the High Renaissance period and write a two-paragraph art critique on the piece.
1. f the art shown in the unit, which is your favorite? Why?
(I chose The Creation of Adam from the Sistine Chapel ceiling.)
2. The Mona Lisa is often regarded as one of the world’s greatest paintings. Why do you think this is? What sets this painting apart from other paintings?