No quotations are allowed in your Week 3 assignment. However, the
assignment requires that you use three scholarly sources. This might be
confusing for those of you who haven't used APA formatting much in the
Prior to beginning this assignment, be sure to review the required
materials for this week, including the Information literacy: The perils
of online research video that you watched in Week One, and review any
relevant Instructor Guidance.
For this written assignment, you will demonstrate your understanding
of theoretical perspectives by creating a compare and contrast essay on a
topic you select from the list below. This assignment will allow you to
examine two or more different approaches to a given problem or
different examples of a specific phenomenon. In this essay, you will
analyze and explain a minimum of two similarities and two differences in
the topics. You will also analyze and explain the essential connection
between the subjects by justifying and making their comparison relevant
and important. For this essay, you should write for an audience of
novice students of learning psychology. To create a lucid and
well-developed essay in your own words, you should refrain from using
quotations from your sources.
Choose one of the topics from the list below to compare and contrast:
Humanism and behaviorism as psychological learning theories/principles
- Humanism and social constructivism as psychological learning theories/principles
- The three types of learning domains (Bloom, 1956)
Once you have made your choice, you will apply basic research to your
project by taking some time to research and develop your expertise in
the subject. This will aid you in the successful completion of this
assignment. The research can be accomplished through reading online
material or researching articles and e-books available from the Ashford
University Library. You must utilize at least three scholarly sources,
two of which must be from the Ashford University Library. (For
assistance with finding resources in the Ashford University Library
related to your subject, please see this tutorial.)
Writing the “Comparing and Contrasting Theories of Learning” Paper
- Must be three to four double-spaced pages in length and
formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct
thesis statement. Visit the Ashford Writing Center to clarify how to
create a strong thesis statement and what it helps you to accomplish.
You may also use the Thesis Generator tool.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought. For
assistance with the critical thinking portion of the written assignment,
please see the information included on the Critical Thinking Community website.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis. The
conclusion typically has two parts: the summary statement (one or two
sentences that restate the thesis in a fresh way to reinforce the
essay's main idea) and the clincher (a final thought that creates a
lasting impression for the reader).
- Must use at least three scholarly sources, two of which must come from the Ashford University Library.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center