Type in the definitions for the following terms:
- hydrostatic equilibrium –
- What are the two main heat (energy) transport regions of the sun?
- In which of these regions does energy take millions of years to traverse?
- Explain the phrase (in 2-4 sentences) “The Sun generates energy at the expense of consuming itself.
4.What are the two similarities among all stars?____________________________________
- What are the four differences among all stars?
6.What properties of stars does the spectral type describe?
7.What properties of stars are plotted on the H-R diagram?
8.Which stars age faster?High mass or low mass?
9.What is the difference between luminosity and apparent brightness?
10.Which luminosity class represents stars that are still fusing hydrogen into helium?
11.Which star is brighter?Mag +3 or Mag +10?
Fill in the blanks:
_______________ holds stars together; _________________ supports stars against gravity.
_______________ and ______________ forces must balance.
___________________ is created by _________________________ in a star’s core.
__________________________ cause ______________ to flow from the core to the surface,
where it escapes into space as the star’s ____________________ (starlight).
Escaping ___________ is replenished by _______________________ in the core.(Hydrogen
Fuses to helium initially).
The star eventually runs out of __________.
Lo-mass stars (M < 10 solar masses) turn into ___________________________________.High
Mass stars (M > 10 solar masses) explode, leaving a ___________________________ or