UNIT VI CASE STUDY BCJ 2201
In this case study, you will explore the death penalty as it relates to juveniles. Hopefully, this assignment will assist in learning how complex and significant the Miller v. Alabama case was in the juvenile justice system. The completed assignment should use one outside resource, which can come from the following list:
Equal Justice Initiative. (n.d.). Miller v. Alabama. Retrieved from https://eji.org/miller-v-alabama
Miller v. Alabama. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.oyez.org/cases/2011/10-9646
Miller v. Alabama. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.scotusblog.com/miller-v-alabama/
Skelton, C. (n.d.). Miller v. Alabama, 567 U.S. 460 (2012). Retrieved from https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/567/46...
Swift, J. (2013, June 25). Miller v. Alabama: One year later. Retrieved from https://jjie.org/2013/06/25/miller-v-alabama-one-y...
Teigen, A. (2017, April 20). Miller v. Alabama and juvenile life without parole laws. Retrieved from http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-ju...
Be sure to include the following components in your paper:
- Provide a brief description of the background of the court case.
- Include a discussion on the U.S. Supreme Court decision. What did they consider?
- Include a discussion on the status of the death penalty as it had previously related to juveniles.
- Provide your opinion on the juvenile death penalty and the U.S. Supreme Court’s opinion.
- Given your readings on the three main waivers used in the juvenile justice system to transfer adolescents to adult court, which waiver was best suited for the Miller v. Alabama case? Explain your reasoning.
The completed case study should be at least two pages in length. All sources used must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations in APA style.
UNIT VI SCHOLARLY ACTIVITY BCJ 2501
For this scholarly activity, you will do further research on patterns of offenses and victimization. Research the crime rates in both your local area and in the nation.
Include responses to the following points in your scholarly activity:
- Research the murder and aggravated assault data for the past four years. Find national data as well as data in your current city or town (or nearest metropolitan area).
- Explain the national and local rates. Have they gone up or down? How do they compare? Do you see trends? To what do you attribute the differences?
- Explain the terminology/definition of each crime. How do they differ?
- Describe the characteristics of the crime, the offenders, the victims, and the event (location, weapon, and when it occurred).
- What are the differences in arrest and clearance rates?
- After learning more about these crimes, pick a theory from an earlier unit, and use it to explain the possible reasons people commit these crimes in your area.
Your scholarly activity must be a minimum of two pages in length, not counting the title and reference pages. You are required to use at least two outside sources; one source must be from the CSU Online Library. All sources used, including the textbook, must be cited and referenced