1. 2 pages presentation draft
2. 10-15 slides PPT
3. The fund I chose is
Vanguard Emerging Markets Bond Fund Investor Shares (VEMBX)
link as follows: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/literature/prospectus/mutualfunds
The purpose of the portfolio project is to give you the chance to learn how to manage an investment portfolio. You will be given an imaginary $20 Million to create a portfolio based off the wants and needs of a particular client. It will be your job to select the appropriate investments and reallocate the portfolio during the semester.
- You will complete this project individually rather than through group work.
- Your portfolio is given $20,000,000 today to manage in any way you want
- You are assigned a Client to work for, and should construct a portfolio to suit that client’s needs and risk profile. You will be given a sample profile of a client for your project.
- Your portfolio must contain at least 5 but not more than 10 different investments, but there is no limit on how many investments you can include during the term (meaning you can change them throughout the term, just never having more than 10 investments at any one time).
- Starting week 3, you should track performance of your portfolio on a weekly basis. You will not be judged based on how your portfolio performs (in light of current market conditions), but you should strive to beat the total return on the Dow that will be reported on the last day of class for this relevant time period
- You may reallocate your investments once per week, on the same day each week, and should discuss this clearly in your report in a chronological way.
- You do not have to invest all $20,000,000 as you may keep some in cash, but I would suggest to get as close to $20,000,000 as possible
- At the end of Week 7, you should deliver a rough draft of your final presentation, filling in all information available to date, in a 10-15 slide presentation striving to populate as many slides as possible.
- At the end of Week 9, you will submit an approximately 10-15 slide presentation on the portfolio you constructed. In that presentation, suggested items to discuss are why you included certain investments in your portfolio, how they performed, what you have learned in the process, and what you may have done differently in hindsight.
- In addition, please post your presentation to the non-graded discussion area in week 10, so that your classmates can review and provide feedback on your presentation as well.
Final Presentation Guideline
Slide 1: Name of Fund
Slide 2: Describe the objective of the fund (1 paragraph)
Slide 3: Describe your holdings when starting off the fund, what you invested in, and why (time period = beginning of February)
Slide 4: State what assets you were holding a month later, in March – what did you buy, sell, and hold in the interim, and why did you make those decisions (describe thought process)
Slide 5: State what assets you were holding a month later, in April – what did you buy, sell, and hold in the interim, and why did you make those decisions (describe thought process)
Slide 6: Performance Review. Summarize the performance of your review from January to April, state profits earned, and determine if your fund beat the market
Slide 7: Display graph of your fund’s performance of the term, the total dollar value graphed against time
Slide 8: Lessons Learned. Summarize what you learned through this project, what you liked the most about it, what you liked the least about it, and what you would do differently if you were to do it again.
Slide 9: Recap – did your trading activity and behavior satisfy the initial objective of the fund, why or why not, use supporting examples
Slide 10: Any Final Conclusions