Ashford 6: - Week 5 - Final Paper
Final Paper and Presentation
You are one of many training specialists in your company. You have
been asked to design a training module for managers on how to meet the
learning needs of their departmental employees. Meet the employees. The all have different needs. You will need to decide on these needs first.
The title of the training will be "The Importance of Understanding Your Learners' Needs".
If your proposal is chosen as the training module for the company, you
will be granted a substantial bonus and a raise. Woohoo! But you have
to get the job first.
For the written portion of your final assignment, you will create a
training module design that includes five strategic principles that you
will apply in the training to assist your own training module in being
successful, and a minimum of five principles of learning that you want
to “teach” to your group of managers. You will base your choices on the
hypothetical group of managers that you want to train. These principles
may include any theoretical elements that have been introduced to you in
the course. Examples of principles from these areas are provided below:
- Behaviorism – repetition, reinforcement (feedback), association, and classical and operant conditioning
- Cognitivism – assimilation, accommodation, the information processing model, and intellectual stimulation
- Constructivism – scaffolding, metacognition, problem-solving and inquiry-based learning
- Humanism – holism, personal agency, and motivation
You may also wish to review the following online sources to guide you in making decisions for your training:
- Humanism in Education
- Workshop: Constructivism as a Paradigm for Teaching and Learning
- How to Use Behaviorism in a Classroom.
You may want to apply an activity to your training that uses repetition
based on Behaviorism that suggests that reinforcement of responses is
done through repetition, giving the student small sequences of tasks and
providing constant flow of positive reinforcement to encourage
effective learning of responses. Why would you think this is important?
What learner needs did you notice?
A reminder – You do not need to design the activity or learning.
Simply explain what you will teach and why and how you would teach it
Or you may want to include a scaffolding strategy, such as linking the
information to past experiences each manager has had, based on
Cognitivism. What would this look like as a training session?
For the content you may want to include the importance of
Emotional Intelligence differences or Multiple Intelligences? There are
many we have discussed in this course. This is up to you, but you must
include 5 areas of content you think would be the most important to
teach. Remember the focus of your proposed training is “how to meet the
learning needs of their departmental employees”. You are the expert.
Your grasp of each of the five principles you include in your content,
as well as the applied principles from your course activities, will be
evaluated based on your assessment of learner needs, the accuracy of
your description, and the application of each in your proposed training
module. Be sure to download the “PSY331 Final Assessment Scenario”
document to view the specific information for the employees and
training. You should follow these steps to complete your assignment:
- Evaluate the different types of learning your employees exhibit
and create a list of potential learning needs that should be considered
as you begin designing your training.
- Determine which five psychological principles/elements you will apply to your training to benefit those who you want to train.
- As you apply the principles to your activity, explain why you have chosen them based on your learner group.
- Research your training assignment. You will be training
managers on the importance of understanding how we learn and the
importance of their employees’ learning styles and needs.
- Analyze psychological principles related educational issues and
decide what learning styles and learner need content you should include
in your training.
- Align five areas that you will include in the content of the training with the strategies/principles you have chosen.
- Research the employees you will be training (see the “PSY331 Final Assessment Scenario” document) and use critical thinking and creative strategies to solve potential training problems.
- Apply basic research methods and gather resources that will support your content.
- You must utilize at least four scholarly sources to support your proposed training course.
- Cite your sources in APA format as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Write your paper.
- Pitch your idea through a great presentation.
A Suggested OutlineThrough the use of headings and subheadings, you should be
able to thoroughly explain what you would like to teach and how you
will approach your training. Please see the “PSY331 Suggested Outline format” document for an example.
Focus of the Final PresentationAfter completing your paper, it will be time to sell your
idea. You will create a presentation with the goal of having your
training module chosen for use by the company to train its management
teams. For this presentation, you will produce a screencast presentation
using PowerPoint and Screenr.com. You will only be allotted five
minutes for your presentation, so you will need to showcase you ideas
effectively. Learning how to market yourself and sell your ideas will be
extremely advantageous to you in your current and/or future career, so
you should think outside of the box and be as creative as possible in
the presentation portion of this final assignment. Additionally, this
final assignment will help you build technical skills that will
potentially aid you in your current and/or future career.
Consider the following questions as you create your presentation:
- How will your training module “win out” over the other candidates for this project?
- What makes your training module great?
- In what ways are you able to meet all of your learners’ special needs?
- Is your training engaging? Why?
- How does your training consider the diversity of the learners?
- How does your training consider items such as the time it takes
to go through each module and/or how it will impact employee work
- In real life, this pitch could mean a big promotion or bonus. How will you get this promotion?
Create a script document and a PowerPoint presentation from your
paper by highlighting the points that really show why your training is
the best option. The script will assist you in creating a video
presentation, which cannot exceed the five-minute time limit allowed for
your screencast. The PowerPoint presentation should be a minimum of six
content slides and must include the following elements:
A minimum of five principles of learning you have studied in
this course, which you included in your paper and applied to the
development of activities you created for your training.
The needs of your learners that were considered.
An outline of the overall content for your learning material.
Include at least five specific skills that will be addressed. (This is
separate from your five applied teaching techniques.)
A brief analysis of why it is important to apply learning theory to training/educating.
A brief explanation of how your current understanding of learning theory may assist you in your future career.
Using Screenr.com or Screencast-O-Matic,
create a screencast of your presentation. Include a title for your
presentation in the description box when you publish your screencast.
Refer to the “Screenr.com Quick-Start Guide” for assistance.
Your presentation time is limited to five minutes, so it is
highly recommended that you practice reading through your script prior
to beginning the screencast capture. Please do not read your slides.
This is boring, and it will not impress your manager (or get you that
The slides should provide selling points that support the
training module included in your paper. You should have put a lot of
time and effort into your paper; the presentation is where you convince
your boss how great it is and why the company should go with your
Copy and paste the URL link to your screencast at the top of
your script document and at the bottom of the reference slide in your
PowerPoint presentation. Although the reference slide must be present,
you will not read through it due to the five-minute time constraint of
the presentation. You must utilize at least four scholarly sources in
your paper that are cited in APA format as outlined in the Ashford
Writing Center. All sources used within the writing assignment and/or
presentation must be cited properly. You will submit both your written
paper and PowerPoint presentation files for the final assignment for
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
- Must be five to six double-spaced pages in length,
excluding title page and references, and formatted according to APA
style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of presentation
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- URL link to your screencast
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct statement about the training module you are going to implement.
- Must address the learning needs of your assigned employee body.
- Must include a rationale statement for each learning
method chosen based on critical thought. For assistance with the
critical thinking portion of the written assignment, please visit the Critical Thinking Community website.
- Must end with a conclusion that states your anticipated time frame of the training as well as your final goal of the training.
- Must use at least four scholarly sources from the Ashford University Library.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
The PowerPoint presentation:
- Must be a minimum of six content slides in length and
formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing
- Must include a title slide with the following:
- Title of presentation
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must present a creative pitch for your training module.
- Must include an overall summary of the important pieces
of your training module and why it should be chosen over the other
No references are needed for this portion of the assignment.
The most important aspects of this assignment are creativity and
thoroughness. You want the company to choose your training. In your
pitch, explain why it is great based on learning theory. For assistance
with ideas for creating an impactful presentation, watch the following
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.