To prepare for this assignment:
- Review the "Psychodynamic/Psychoanalytic" and “Adlerian” sections on the video, Counseling and psychotherapy theories in context and practice: Skills, strategies, and techniques. Pay particular attention to the methods used by the therapists to gather information related to their clients' presenting issues. Discern some of the basic techniques associated with psychodynamic and brief therapies.
- Review Dr. Norcross' course media presentation "Psychodynamic Orientation Foundations". Pay particular attention to his discussion on short or brief psychodynamic therapies.
- Review Case Study: Sam
- Download and familiarize yourself with the Case Conceptualization Exemplar
- Review this week's assigned articles on short-term psychodynamic theories, and think about conceptualizing Case Study: Sam from a short-term psychodynamic perspective, specifically time-limited dynamic psychotherapy (TLDP).
- Review, if necessary, Chapters 1, 2, and 3 in Clinical Process: From Conceptualization to Treatment Planning. Think about how you can use the information from these chapters when you conceptualize Case Study: Sam.
- Consider the benefits and challenges of using a short-term psychodynamic therapy. Think about how you would address the challenges.
- Consult the DSM-5 and review Case Study: Sam. Formulate a preliminary diagnosis for Sam's presenting issues.
- Review this week's Web sites for empirically supported treatments appropriate for your diagnosis of Sam's presenting issues. (The ESTs should also support TLDP.)
The assignment: (The completed template should be 2-3 pages)
- Complete the Case Conceptualization Template for Case Study: Sam through the lens of time-limited dynamic psychotherapy. Practice your evidence-based practice skills by using empirically supported treatments.