Thank you for the opportunity to help you with your question!
Comparison/Contrast: McCarthyism v. Salem Witch Trials
- Hunt for communists
- Created accusations to gain status
- Accused Democratic party and US army
- Joseph McCarthy as "leader", Republican party as followers
- Fear of communism kept it alive
- Throughout America in 1950s
- Caused by communism gains by Soviets, the Korean war, and Truman being "soft on communism"
- Communists were "taking over the government"
- Now defined today as "the unfair tactic of accusing people of disloyalty without providing evidence" (Danzer 620)
- Hunt for witches/witchcraft
- Accusations created for revenge
- Accused women
- Abigail as "leader" with her friends as followers
- Fear that the devil would take over kept it alive
- In Salem, Massachusetts in 1692
- Caused by the idea that witches existed
- Witches were thought to be "taking over the town and destroying souls"
- Search for "odd man out"
- Innocent were accused
- Names were made up with no proof
- "Ringleader", with followers
- Personal gain by the leader
- Both events occurred in the United States
- Pleads were made guilty
- Group of people that speak out against it
Please let me know if you need any clarification. I'm always happy to answer your questions.
Jul 13th, 2015
Oct 23rd, 2016
Mark as Final Answer
Unmark as Final Answer
Content will be erased after question is completed.