An analytical report that addresses a problem or issue within an organization. For this assignment, you will write a report of 2000-3000 words on a problem or issue within your workplace or community.
You will identify a problem or issue within your organization. This may be a current place of employment or a community group, such as a church, school, homeowner's association, daycare, recreation center, soccer team, or other group.
You will then accomplish the following in the report:
- define the problem persuasively and accurately
- propose a solution or solutions to the problem or issue
- present that solution to a decision-maker or group of decision-makers who can implement the recommendation.
The report will include the following components:
- Title Page
- Letter of Transmittal
- Table of Contents
- Informative Abstract
- Body of Report
Your report must also include the following:
- At least one graphic in the text.
- A minimum of five sources cited within the report.
- At least one source must be a scholarly source.
- APA style should be used in citing and listing the sources.
The complete report should be 2000-3000 words, not including the list of references. The purpose of establishing a word count is to ensure the topic chosen is neither too big nor too small. Also, writing within parameters is a common requirement in professional communications.
The complete report, as stated above, should cite at least five sources. At least one of them should come from peer-reviewed, scholarly journals. Your sources can also include interviews. The sources will be integrated into the paper to explain the problem, provide evidence of the problem, and support the solution. If you are having trouble locating scholarly sources for your topic, you can let me know during the weeks leading up to the due date for the report. I can try to help you or work with you on integrating sources.
An Excellent Resource on Analytical Reports:
-The Academic Language Learning and Success Program at Charles Darwin University has an excellent guide to writing analytical reports. Click here to access it.
Other Helpful Guides on Report Writing:
-Victoria University of Wellington has a thorough outline and review of the components of this type of business report. Click here to access it.
-Queen Margaret University has an excellent guide for this type of report. Click here to access it.
-Murdoch University has an outstanding guide on writing this type of report. Click here to access it.
-Colorado State University presents excellent tips in organizing the report. Click here to access its site.
-Monash University has a sample case study report that you might find helpful. Click here to access it.
Examples of Analytical Reports:
-For an example of an analytical report on a problem at a college campus, click here.
-For an example of on analytical report a transportation problem, click here.
-For an example of analytical report on a topic related to economics, click here.
-For an example of an analytical report on a technical topic, click here.
Topics to Help You Come Up with Ideas on this Assignment:
Some possible workplace research topics are the following. These are just examples to help you get started. Please do not feel that you have to select one of these topics.
The following topics have been borrowed from Lannon, J.M, Gurak, L. J, and Daemon, D. (2011). Instructor’s resource manual to accompany Technical Communication, 12th ed. Boston: Longman:
- the long-term effects of a vegetarian diet
- comparison of two or more brands of equipment
- the adequacy of veterans’ benefits
- the influence of a stadium or civic center in your city or community
- the best computer to buy for a specific need
- the best type of computer (desktop, laptop, Chromebook, tablet) for a specific need
- the best location for a new business
- the effects of budget cuts in public education in your area
- the effects of legalized gambling in your state
- the causes of low morale in your workplace
- Methods of improving productivity in your workplace
- analysis of benefits from organic farming practices
- methods of dealing with discarded computers and other types of electronic waste
- the pros and cons of taking writing classes online
- the pros and cons of taking classes online in ____ (fill in the blank with a field of study of your choice)
- the adequacy of police protection in your town or city
The following topics are ideas that have been used in previous classes:
- going to a wireless network
- going to a paperless office
- switching from Windows to Linux (or other similar switch)
- installing/upgrading company firewall
- establishing a drug policy
- establishing an employee leave donation program
- establishing an equipment donation program for used computers, etc.
- establishing a company recycling program (paper, etc.)
- education/retraining for your employees
- establishing a program for millennial workers (e.g., training on certain aspects of etiquette, on understanding other generations, etc.)
- designing a training program for workplace safety issues
- redesigning employee performance evaluations
- developing a work-at-home (telecommuting) policy
- developing a flex-time policy
- establishing on-site day care or providing other child care benefits
- providing gym membership or creating an on-site workout facility
- creating or revising a charitable contribution policy
- creating or improving a tuition assistance program
- accommodations needed for employee/s with specific health issues (for example, migraines)
- establishing a Habitat for Humanity (or other group) chapter at your organization
Some students have chosen topics outside of their workplaces, such as the following:
- betting additional lighting in the neighborhood
- changing traffic patterns around your child’s school
- installing a tot lot in your neighborhood
- constructing a crying baby room at your place of worship
- offering ESL courses at your church
- increasing participation in a military Family Support Group
Length: 2000-3000 words, not including the list of references. In other words, the text of the paper should be 2000-3000 words. The sources should be cited and listed in APA style.