Thank you for the opportunity to help you with your question!
- Park in a well lit area.
- When returning to your parked car, be aware of the surroundings. Look into the backseat before opening the car door. As you approach the car, look for someone hiding underneath the vehicle. At night, use a flashlight to illuminate under the car and the backseat. Walk with purpose and be alert. Approach your car with key in hand. Be wary of people asking for directions, handing out fliers, etc. Trust your instincts. If someone makes you feel uneasy get in your car quickly. Lock the doors and drive away.
- Install an anti-theft device that has an ignition shut off button or have a panic button alarm system that can be activated if you sense trouble.
- Always keep the car filled to at least half a tank of gas and sign up for a towing service.
- Know that parking lots in shopping areas and work places are the favorite areas for carjackers, followed by city streets, residential driveways and gas stations.
Tips to Prevent a Carjacking – How to Protect Yourself While Driving
- When driving it is important to appear confident and in control. If you appear lost, weak or preoccupied you increase your chances of becoming a victim.
- Lock your car doors when driving and keep your windows up. Get fresh air from the air conditioner or fan. Many carjackings occur at red lights and stop signs.
- Avoid driving alone, if possible, especially at night.
- Do not leave pocketbooks or valuables on the seat which can be observed from outside. Place these items on the floor and the pocketbook under the front seat. The trunk is best.
- Carjacking occurs on weekends more frequently than on weekdays, so be especially alert on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- When you go to a gas station, turn off your ignition and lock your car when you go to pay the attendant.
- Do not stop if you see a stranger whose car is broken down on the side of the road. Call for help via cell phone or gas station phone.
- On a highway, drive in the center lane. This reduces your chance of becoming a “bump-and-rob” victim.
Please let me know if you need any clarification. I'm always happy to answer your questions.
Jul 15th, 2015
Did you know? You can earn $20 for every friend you invite to Studypool!
Click here to
Refer a Friend
Feb 21st, 2017
Mark as Final Answer
Unmark as Final Answer
Content will be erased after question is completed.