Motivation is a complex subject, but its understanding and application is
central to the success of management and organizational success. Imagine that
you have been tasked by the CEO of your organization (current or past) with
recommending actions to improve the motivation of the organization’s employees.
The CEO has requested that you prepare a talking paper explaining to management
what motivation is, the factors that influence motivation, the role of the
leader in motivation, and ways the organization can inspire motivation. The
talking paper should not be a reiteration of motivation theory, but should
provide succinct points that cover the key topics of motivation and provides a
road map that management can implement to improve motivation within the
organization. Note: You may create and / or make all necessary
assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
For an explanation of a talking paper and tips to create a successful one,
read the article titled “How to Write a Talking Points Paper”, located at http://www.ehow.com/how_8113844_write-talking-points-paper.html.
Also, review the document titled “Talking Paper Instructions”.
In preparation for this assignment, review the following additional resources
“Creating a motivating work environment” (2 min 20 s), located at http://www.lynda.com/Business-Skills-tutorials/Creating-motivating-work-environment/142957/155997-4.html?org=strayer.edu.
Berry, J. (2014). Revolutionising motivation. Training Journal,
10-13. (Note: Available in the Strayer Library)
Write a four to six (4-6) page talking paper in which you:
- Synthesize the concept of motivation, and examine the substantial reasons
why motivation is difficult to understand.
- Evaluate the potential effectiveness of the model positioning of motivation,
and propose at least two (2) actions that the organization can take in order to
apply the concept.
- Detail the feedback control loop, and suggest two (2) ways that the
organization can use the feedback control loop to determine whether management’s
actions are motivating or demotivating.
- Assess the manner in which leaders can influence employee motivation through
goal setting, impression management, and encouragement.
- Devise a plan to redesign a job of your choice within the organization,
outlining the steps that the organization would need to take to redesign the job
to encourage and develop motivation for employees.
- Select one (1) theory of motivation from pages 185 to 206 in the textbook.
Outline a plan to integrate the selected theory into the organization.
- Recommend the key to success in implementing your plan of action to increase
motivation within your chosen organization.
- Use at least five (5) quality academic references in this assignment. You
may include the resource(s) provided in the assignment. Note: Wikipedia does not
qualify as an academic resource.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.