In what ways are fission and fusion reactions
1. Both have critical masses.
2. Both require high temperatures.
3. Both involve the transformation of one or
more elements into other elements.
4. Both need both heavy and light nuclei.
Thank you for the opportunity to help you with your question!
3. Both involve the transformation of one or more elements into other elements
They are similar in the way that they release massive amount of energy, and that they involve changes in the nucleus of atoms.
Fission is when large nuclei (higher than Iron on the periodic table) break into smaller nuclei, releasing energy. Fusion is when small nuclei (from hydrogen up to Iron on the periodic table) join together, releasing energy as they do so.
Content will be erased after question is completed.
Enter the email address associated with your account, and we will email you a link to reset your password.
Forgot your password?