Assignment 1: Discussion—Selecting the Best Leadership Style
You are on the Board of Directors of a small manufacturing company. Until now, the company has been mainly a family-run business. The founder wants to retire and has no offspring who can succeed him. The company is profitable, has been run conservatively, and does business domestically. Although the current head of the company wants to branch out, he is unsure how to accomplish that goal and wants to make no unnecessary changes. The 250 employees of this company are like family to him. He has often made decisions based on their influence rather than purely fiscal growth. While the Board understands that things need to change, they want to accomplish their goals in a way that will maintain the close-knit, family-like unity in the company, as that characteristic is an indisputable part of their organization’s success.
Click here to read the job description that has been created for this position. (Please see below)
Rewrite the job description to represent what you believe to be the most important leadership qualities for this company. Also, provide justifications for the qualities and traits you have chosen to be most appropriate.
Once your description has been written, consider:
- Does this job description meet the needs of the organization as it is written? Explain.
- Is this position different than an average CEO role in some way? If so, explain. How does this change your considerations for the job posting?
- What traits are missing from the job posting you have read?
- Are there traits not normally considered that would be important for the new CEO to possess?
- Was this a difficult job description to write? Why or why not? Explain.
Beginning Saturday, July 25, 2015, post your responses to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through Monday, July 27, 2015, comment on at least two of your peers’ responses.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read your peers’ answers.
- Provide substantive comments by
- contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
- building on the remarks or questions of others; or
- sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing
- is clear, concise, and organized;
- demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
- displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
* Below is the job description that was created for this position *
Initial response was:
- Insightful, original, accurate, and timely.
- Substantive and demonstrated advanced understanding of concepts.
- Compiled/synthesized theories and concepts drawn from a variety of sources to support statements and conclusions.
Discussion Response and Participation:
- Responded to a minimum of two peers in a timely manner.
- Offered points of view supported by research.
- Asked challenging questions that promoted discussion.
- Drew relationships between one or more points in the discussion.
- Wrote in a clear, concise, formal, and organized manner.
- Responses were error free.
- Information from sources, where applicable, was paraphrased appropriately and accurately cited.
DEPARTMENT: ExecutiveJOB TITLE: President/CEO
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
JOB PURPOSE: The President is responsible for providing strategic leadership for the company by
working with the Board and other management to establish long-range goals, strategies, plans, and
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Plan, develop, organize, implement, direct, and evaluate the organization's fiscal function and
Participate in the development of the corporation's plans and programs as a strategic partner.
Evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies,
and regulatory action.
Develop credibility for the finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets,
financial reports, and financial trends to assist the Board and senior executives in performing their
Enhance and/or develop, implement, and enforce policies and procedures of the organization by
way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the corporation.
Establish credibility throughout the organization and with the Board as an effective developer of
solutions to business challenges.
Provide technical and financial advice and knowledge to others within the financial discipline.
Engage in continual improvement of the budgeting process through education of department
managers on financial issues impacting their budgets.
Provide strategic financial input and leadership on decision-making issues affecting the
organization; i.e., evaluation of potential alliances, acquisitions and/or mergers, and pension funds
Optimize the handling of bank and deposit relationships and initiate appropriate strategies to
enhance cash position.
Develop a reliable cash flow projection process and reporting mechanism, which includes minimum
cash threshold to meet operating needs.
Be an advisor from the financial perspective on any contract into which the Corporation may enter.
Evaluate the finance division structure and team, plan for continual improvement of the efficiency
and effectiveness of the group, as well as provide individuals with professional and personal growth
with emphasis on opportunities (where possible) of individuals.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Accomplishes all tasks as appropriately assigned or requested.
QUALIFICATIONS (Experience, Competencies, and Education)
An experienced leader and financial executive with appropriate industry experience, preferably in
the software field.
An energetic, forward-thinking, and creative individual with high ethical standards and an
appropriate professional image.
A strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment, and strong
A well-organized and self-directed individual who is "politically savvy" and a team player.
An intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and
possesses excellent communication skills.
A good educator who is trustworthy, willing to share information, and serve as a mentor.
An excellent negotiator who is experienced in contracts.
A decisive individual who possesses a "big picture" perspective and is well-versed in systems.
Master’s degree (MA) or equivalent; or ten to fifteen years related experience and/or training; or
equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents.
Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints.
Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex
topics to the Board and outside investors.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MEASURES
Operating expense budget of $
Corporate revenue of
Corporate operating income of
Market capitalization of
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands
to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop,
kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision,
peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.