Assignment 1: Discussion—Identifying Your Leadership Style
This assignment has two parts but should be combined into one coherent answer. All written assignments and responses should follow APA rules for attributing sources.
Write a cover letter of about 300 words to accompany your application for the position of Vice President—Advertising and Marketing. In this letter, describe your leadership style and use examples from real life when you were in a leadership position.
Here’s a questionnaire to aid you in writing the cover letter:
- How effectively do you communicate?
- How perceptive and confident are you?
- What is your level of perseverance?
- How determined are you?
- What is your level of caring about your peers and subordinates?
- How do you build effective relationships?
- How do you set high expectations and inspire others?
- In what ways do you provide positive recognition and constructive feedback?
- How do you create a pride-inspiring environment?
- How do you empower your team?
- In what ways do you take appropriate responsibility for yourself and others?
- What place do honor and respect have in a leadership role?
- How do you balance team success with your individual success?
- How do you keep your team focused?
- How do you effectively communicate the big picture and bring that vision to your team?
- How do you exhibit integrity, perseverance, and courage in your role as a leader?
Assuming that you will be invited to interview for the position, make a list, with sufficiently detailed examples, of your successes and failures as a leader to share with the interview committee.
Remember, you’ll need to justify your list to the committee. Create this list in a format that you find easy to memorize. When responding to your peers, please consider:
- Ways in which other students can improve their cover letter. What works in the cover letter and what doesn’t? Why?
- How can you differentiate yourself from other candidates?
- Which examples are the most powerful? Why?
Please implement the recommendations into their cover letters and post them on the final day of the discussion.
Write your initial response in 300 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Initial response was:
- Insightful, original, accurate, and timely.
- Substantive and demonstrated advanced understanding of concepts.
- Compiled/synthesized theories and concepts drawn from a variety of sources to support statements and conclusions.
Discussion Response and Participation:
- Responded to a minimum of two peers in a timely manner.
- Offered points of view supported by research.
- Asked challenging questions that promoted discussion.
- Drew relationships between one or more points in the discussion.
- Wrote in a clear, concise, formal, and organized manner.
- Responses were error free.
- Information from sources, where applicable, was paraphrased appropriately and accurately cited.