In this laboratory experience, you will explore the concepts of charge distributions and electric field distributions
in a 3-dimensional space. You will compute the electric field of various charge geometries (i.e. single charge, dipole
and line distribution). You will use MATLAB as a tool for carrying out the calculations learned during the lab
During this lab, you will:
- a) Understand the use of coordinate systems to represent 2D Electric Fields,
- b) Study the most fundamental charge distribution densities (point, dipole and linear),
- c) Develop basic skills in the use of MATLAB to compute the electric field produced by a single point charge
confined in an arbitrary volume and compare to the results obtained by two-point charges of opposite charge sign
enclosed in an arbitrary volume (i.e. electric dipole),
- d) Develop basic skills in the use of MATLAB to compute the electric field produced by a line with constant charge
along the length (i.e. line charge distribution) and compare to the results obtained in the pre-lab experience,
- e) Gain knowledge about uniform electric fields and their applications.
By the end of this experience, you should be able to understand the graphical representation of fields produced
by different electric charge distributions, comprehend the concept of distributed charge in two-dimensional and three-
dimensional spaces and get a sense of the physical meaning of the electric field.
Gain an understanding of electric field produced by different charge distributions.
Gain proficiency in the use of MATLAB to solve vector field problems.
Gain understanding about the concepts of charge distribution, electric field, coulombs law by visualizing
2D and 3D representations of electric fields.
- Equipment and Software
- Advanced Visualization Center
******se atached file for more info******