Early Western Civilization to 1000 CE
Exam #1 – Early Civilizations (Study Guide)
Directions: Be able to identify each of the people/objects/places/terms/events below. In a short
answer, explain why are they significant and how they influenced Early Western History?
1. The Epic of Gilgamesh
2. The Valley of the Kings
3. Chauvet Caves
8. Neolithic Period
11. The Tanakh
12. Cyrus the Great
13. Fertile Crescent
16. The Phoenicians
17. Solomon’s Temple
18. The Stepped Pyramid of Djoser
20. The Battle of Kadesh
Directions: Be prepared to answer the following questions. Answer the question completely and
include some discussion of primary sources, where appropriate, to support your answer.
1. What factors spurred the development of written scripts? How did the development of
written scripts affect the societies that developed them?
2. Compare the Neo-Assyrian state and Persian Empire. How did they form different types
of states? How did each try to integrate its realms?
3. Why was the Nile ‘central’ to life in Egypt?
4. How did the cultures of the Minoans and Mycenaeans contribute to the development of
5. Describe the reforms of Akhenaten and discuss his role as a ‘revolutionary’.
6. Compare the Minoan and Egyptian cultures, particularly in terms of art, architecture, and
7. Discuss the problems of interpreting Neolithic culture.
8. Discuss the agricultural and technological revolutions of early humans and their impact
on the development of early societies.
Purchase answer to see full attachment