PLEASE SUBMIT ANSWERS ON ACTIAL WORD DOCUMET
Unit II Homework
Cancer and Genetics
In order for organisms to grow, repair, maintain, and reproduce, cells undergo cell division. Sometimes, cells uncontrollably divide, resulting in cancer. In the first part of the Cancer and Cell Division Lab, you will learn about normal cell division and will compare it to cell division that occurs in cancer cells. You will then visit a website to find out more information about cancer. You will learn why it occurs, why it kills, and new treatments that are being tested and used to treat cancer.
1. Explain the process of cancer, the effects on the human body, the various types, and the risk factors involved.
2. Explain various treatments for cancer.
3. Explain the various stages of mitosis.
No extra materials will be required to complete this lab other than internet service.
• Go to the following website:http://www.mhhe.com/biosci/genbio/virtual_labs/BL_...
• Follow the steps under the PROCEDURE section.
• Type all answers directly on the data sheet.
• Select Save As, and save this document using your last name and student ID as the file name.
• Upload the data sheet as a .doc, .docx, or .rtf file when you are finished.
While viewing the video, answer the following questions. Total: 8 points
1. Centrioles are duplicated during which stage of mitosis? (4 points)
2. During which stage of mitosis are sister chromatids pulled to opposite ends of the cell? (4 points)
After viewing the video, click on the Information tab in the bottom right corner. Answer the following questions. Total: 12 points
1. In which of the cancer types listed, are males not at risk of developing? (4 points)
2. Cigarette smoke is a major risk factor for which type of cancer listed? (2 points)
3. The risk for which type of cancer increases after the age of 55? (4 points)
Continue following the directions under the PROCEDURE section, and complete the following table. Total: 40 points
% of Cells Dividing
% of Cells at rest
Continue following the directions under the PROCEDURES section and answer the following questions. Total: 12 points
1. Based on your data and observations, what are some of the differences between normal cells and cancer cells? (4 points)
2. Which type of cancer shows the most aggressive growth? Explain your answer. (4 points)
3. When studying cell division in tissue samples, scientists often calculate a mitotic index, which is the ratio of dividing cells to the total number of cells in the sample. Scientists often calculate the mitotic index to compare the growth rates of different types of tissue. Which type of tissue would have a higher mitotic index, normal tissue or cancerous tissue? Explain. (4 points)
Click Cancer A-Z. At the page that follows there will be links to more information on breast cancer, colon and rectal cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer and skin cancer. Review the information for each these cancers. Next, write an essay that discusses either your own risk factors for each type of cancer and steps you might take to decrease those risk factors. As always, you do not have to disclose any actual personal information if you do not wish to. You may create a fictional character and discuss his or her risk factors instead. (30 points)
Your response should be at least 100 words in length.