GEOG 130 Online
Activity 1: Cost of 2-Day Shipping
Introduction: How much online shopping do you do? This short assignment applies concepts of
economics and the environment to our everyday shopping habits!
Instructions: View the video produced by Vox titled “The environmental cost of free two-day shipping”
found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HOijUtExiM Please respond to the questions below.
Be sure to use a distinct font color or highlighting of your responses so I can identify them within the
document. Once completed, save your answers and upload to Blackboard before the deadline.
Briefly respond to each question (1-2 sentences).
1. Explain some of the reasons why 2-day shipping has a higher environmental cost, and how
choosing a longer shipping delivery window is more environmentally friendly.
2. Briefly describe solutions traffic engineers are developing to help efficiency and reduce carbon
a. Traffic light timing
c. Eliminating left-hand turns
3. I have seen a new shipping option on Amazon.com, where a $1 electronics purchase credit is
offered in exchange for a longer shipping date. What other ways do you think companies can
incentivize a “Green Option” for shipping? Do you think an incentive is necessary?
4. Briefly comment on how global geography plays a role in this issue. Is this something all areas or
countries of the world have to contend with? Why or why not?
5. Briefly comment on how local geography plays a role in this issue (consider your answer to
question 2). What might be differences in how Los Angeles, California versus a small Midwestern
town are able to become more efficient and produce less of a carbon footprint?
Purchase answer to see full