Lab #6 – Identifying the Scope of Your State’s (location’s) Data
and Security Breach Notification Law
Currently, 47 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the
Virgin Islands have data and security breach notification laws that define what
organizations must do if they have had data or security breached that impact
citizen privacy data. The National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL)
Web site tracks and organizes telecommunication and information technology
state legislation. Review the NCSL Web site and data and security breach
notification laws for each state listed at
You are a cybersecurity manager at ABC organization. Your Chief Information
Security Officer (CISO) comes to your office and asks if you are familiar with
this site and how it might affect the way ABC does business in the different
states where ABC is licensed to do business. He has asked you to create a
presentation for a meeting to introduce the executives of the organization to
this site and report on the organizations responsibilities for breach notification
for the region where you are the cybersecurity manager. Locate your state in
the list on the NCSL website above. If you live outside of the United States
locate a similar law for where you are a resident.
Create a PowerPoint® narration (voice) report of at least 10 slides based on
your findings in the NCSL website for your state (not including the cover page
and reference page). If you do not own a copy of Microsoft PowerPoint use a
comparable slide software or Google Slides (free and accessible from
Google.com). If your tool does not offer the ability to put audio on the slides
utilize another tool to record the audio portion, i.e., VLC Media or another tool
that will allow you to record .mp3 file format that transitions with the slides.
In the presentation, address the following:
1. Relate state government data security breach notification laws to individual
2. Explain why state governments have data security breach notification law.
3. Find your state or location’s data and security breach and notification law and
explain the following in your presentation:
History of the law
ABC’s responsibility for breach notification
What is ABC’s liability for failing to follow this law
4. Assess the scope and depth of privacy protection rights of a citizen in your
particular state or location.
Make sure to provide a reference slide that provides APA citations of any
sources used in the PowerPoint presentation. This slide does not require
1. At least 10 slides in length, with each slide having a narration in Standard
English explaining the key ideas in each slide.
2. The oral presentation should have a highly developed and sustained
viewpoint and purpose.
3. The oral communication should be highly ordered, logical and unified.
4. The oral delivery technique, including word choice and oral expressiveness,
displays exceptional content, organization, and style, while leading the
audience to a dynamic and supported conclusion.
5. Free of grammatical errors.
6. No evidence of plagiarism.
7. Ensure that the narration provides clear enunciation, a professional tone, and
is free of background noise.
8. The slide presentation must be professional and utilize a professional
background and design.
Your PowerPoint narration presentation should be 10 or more slides in length.
Be sure to use appropriate APA format and cite your Reading or other
sources that you used in your presentation.
The presentation should contain sufficient information to adequately answer
the questions and contain no spelling, grammar, or APA errors. Remember
that the slides will contain summary information of what you provide in your
narration. Points deducted from grade for each writing, spelling, or grammar
error are at your instructor’s discretion.
Also review the university policy on plagiarism. If you have any
questions, please contact your professor.
Directions for Submitting Your Lab
Place your presentation in the drobox for Unit 5 Lesson 6 Lab.
Purchase answer to see full