Performance Analysis Worksheet
Philadelphia Dance Experience
Answer the following questions in a separate document. Be thoughtful but succinct in your responses. Focus
on specifically and vividly describing the performance, accessing and building upon the movement vocabulary
you already possess. Spelling and grammar will count in the determination of your grade. You must cite any
outside sources including program notes, class readings, or outside research.
If this were an essay assignment:
Keep in mind that everything single thing cited here doesn’t necessarily have to be included in your piece. Be
mindful of the information’s relevancy in relation to what you’re describing. If it’s important to mention a
detail because of the impact it may have on the particular show you are writing about, by all means, include it!
In the instance of this assignment, you are actually detailing your answers, being sure you are correctly
responding to everything the question is asking.
1. What was the name of the dance company performing? Who was the chorographer?
2. When and where did the show take place?
3. What was the title of the show? If the show included more than one piece, what was the title of the piece
about which you will be writing?
4. What was the style or genre of the choreography? (ballet, modern, hip hop, jazz, etc.?) Support your claim
with evidence from the work and your existing knowledge of any dance forms.
5. Situate the choreographer’s work in terms of historical and cultural influences. You may refer to the
program notes and/or use outside sources to research the dance company or choreographer.
6. Describe: You may choose to focus on one or two sections of the dance work in responding to each of the
How many dancers were on stage-was it a solo, duet, trio, or ensemble?
Describe the movement using evocative and vivid language. How did the dancers
use their bodies? What did the movement look like and how was it performed?
Address elements covered in class including body, shape, and effort qualities.
Describe the use of space in a particular section or throughout the performance.
Describe the music or sound. How did it relate to the movement or overall
Describe the lighting, costumes, set and/or props. How did these design
elements relate to the movement or overall theme?
How was the piece structured? How did it progress from beginning to end?
7. Interpret: What was the chorographer’s intention? What meaning did you see in the movement? What was
the overall theme of the work? Provide specific examples to support your interpretation of the work.
8. Make Connections: Relate your understanding of the performance to at least one of our class readings. You
may also reference class discussions or include additional outside research.
Purchase answer to see full attachment