In this unit, you have learned about the different types of unmanned aerial
vehicles that exist in the public and private sectors. You have also learned
about the use of drone technology used by first responders to prepare for,
respond to, and recover from an incident. What is the feasibility that the same
technology will be used in a terrorist or lone-wolf attack in the United
For this assignment, you will read and review an article that attempts to
answer that very question. Click the link provided to access the article, and
read pages 2-17 of the PDF. (ATTACHED)
Hughes, M., & Hess, J. (2016). An assessment of
lone wolves using explosive-laden consumer drones in the United States.
Global Security and Intelligence Studies, 2(1), 62-80. Retrieved
After reading the article, write a review that addresses, at a minimum, the
- Give a brief overview of the article and the study’s purpose.
- Explain lone-wolf terrorism in the United States today. How have lone-wolf
terrorists begun to integrate technology such as drone
usage into their plans to orchestrate attacks in the United
- Discuss why the use of drones by terrorist groups or lone-wolf terrorists
is expected to increase in the future.
- Discuss the defense mechanisms that can be used to prevent an attack by
unmanned aerial vehicles.
- After reviewing this article, do you believe that drones could be used to
attack first responders at the scene of a minor or major
incident response? What are the motives?
- The authors conclude with several suggestions for future research in this
area. Which area do you feel is most critical and should be
prioritized? Explain your opinion.
- Conclude your review with your overall thoughts and viewpoints on the
article. Do you agree or disagree with the authors’ points? How
do you feel the information presented relates to the
concepts you learned in this unit and the future of
Your article review should be a minimum of three pages, not counting the
title and reference pages. It should be well organized and offer an insightful
and thorough analysis with a strong argument and evidence. You are required to
use at least two sources in addition to the Hughes and Hess article to
support your analysis. All sources used must be properly cited. Your article
review, including all references, should be formatted in APA style.