Industry Comes of Age 1865-1900
1. Evaluate the growth of the transcontinental railroad after the American Civil War.
2. Identify at least three Captain's of Industry and the contributions they made to their industry.
3. Discuss the concept of Social Darwinism and "survival of the fittest."
4. What caused the Knights of Labor to decline?
America moves to the City 1865-190
1. Differentiate between 'old " and " new" immigration. How did Americans react to the new immigrants?
2. Who was Jane Addams ? Explain the role of settlement houses in urban America.
3. Explain the interest in sports and recreation in the late nineteenth century
4. How did the church confront the challenges of urbanization. Discuss the role of women in the new urban environment.
Progressivism and Republican Roosevelt
1. Who were the progressives, and what were their major objectives?
2. Who were the muckrakers and what impact did they have?
3. Discuss Theodore Roosevelt's and William Taft's progressive programs?
4. What caused the split between Roosevelt and Taft?
Wilsonian Progressivism at Home and Abroad
1.How was Wilson's progressivism different from Roosevelt's? What was significant about the passage of the Federal Reserve Act?
2.Discuss Wilson's foreign policies specifically in Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
3.Why did Wilson involve the United States in Mexico's revolutionary turmoil?
4. Discuss the event that are unfolding between 1915 and 1917 that will eventually lead the United States into World War I.