1. Regarding the
Plains tribes, the U.S. federal government’s ultimate goal was to __________.
tribal society through land policies, education, and law
tribes how to be self-sufficient and self-governing
Plains tribes across the border to Canada
Plains tribes into one larger group
2. The purpose of immigrants known as “birds of passage” was
to __________. (Points : 1)
money in America to return home and have a better life there
move from place
to place in America, trying different jobs
money to bring their families to America
3. Which of the following is Andrew Carnegie NOT known for?
(Points : 1)
a multimillionaire by exploiting his workers.
emigrated from Scotland in the 1830s and was helped in the early years by
relatives already living in the United States.
encouraged his workers to form unions.
his wealth to endow almost 3,000 libraries.
4. Thanks to reform work by Jacob Riis and others, the first
New York City tenement legislation required that __________. (Points : 1)
tenements” be constructed to house immigrant workers
indoor toilets, and outward-facing windows be included in tenements
a maximum of
six persons be housed per tenement apartment
buildings be separated by a minimum of 4 feet for ventilation and light
5. What was a political result of the end of the Great
Strike of 1877?
relationship between the union leaders and the industrialists was further
relationship between the middle class and the industrialists was further
relationship between the Democrats and the industrialists was further cemented.
relationship between the Republicans and the industrialists was further
6. Francis Willard was the founder of the influential
organization known as the __________. Readjuster Party
Christian Temperance Union
7. By 1920 more Americans lived _________ than __________.
(Points : 1)
on farms; in
in suburbs; in
in cities; on
in suburbs; on
8. Which component of U.S. government was strongest in the
9. What were the two most important factors that led to the
population of the American western frontier? (Points : 1)
placing Native Americans on reservations
the end of the
Civil War and the Homestead Act
the crowding of
eastern cities and the gold rush
the Homestead Act
10. The Jim Crow system restricted the rights and political
participation of __________.