By the mid-20th century, the United States had become the dominant force in
international relations. Some have argued that the United States' military
functions as the world's "police." This assignment covers the manner in which
this shift occurred and the consequences the United States faces as a result of
its status as "policemen of the world."
Begin by using the Internet and reputable news outlets to research two (2)
real-life international incidents from the past five (5) years in which:
- The U.S. used military action abroad.
- Controversy existed within the American public regarding U.S.
- Controversy existed within the country or countries affected by U.S.
Note: The resources used above do not count towards your
three (3) academic sources in most cases.
To prepare for your upcoming research paper on this topic in week 10, please
briefly answer the questions on the attached chart located here. Download the chart to your computer, fill it out, and
then submit it under the assignment link in week 7.
For this assignment, you will be completing the following tasks on the
- Write a thesis statement that is one to two (1-2) sentences long in which
- State your thesis on the significance of the role of the US military as
policemen of the world, particularly as exemplified in the two recent military
incidents you researched. Justify your response.
- Note: A thesis statement is usually a single sentence
somewhere in your first paragraph that presents your main idea to the reader.
The body of the essay organizes the material you gather and present in support
of your main idea. Keep in mind that a thesis is an interpretation of a question
or subject, not the subject itself. Please consult the Purdue OWL Website with
tips on how to construct a proper thesis; the website can be found at: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/545/01/
- List two to three (2-3) US military interventions from the past five years
that you investigated that can be traced back to a foreign policy created after
the Civil War.
- List three (3) aspects of US history between 1865 and 1945 that led to the
US's rise as a world superpower policeman.
- List three to five (3-5) international incidents since World War II where
America has taken on a policing role.
- List three to five (3-5) driving forces that fueled international policy
decisions involving the international incidents you outlined previously.
(Consider foreign policies, treaties, exit strategies, elections, wars,
- Use at least three (3) academic references besides e. or in addition to the
textbook. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic