Memo Template(1) (1).docYou received the message below from your manager. Respond in a memo format.
“As we look to the future, our organization is considering updating its code of ethics to provide better ethical guidelines for our employees. Our department has been tasked with this effort. So we do not overlook any major issues, it seems reasonable to review some existing codes. I am tasking you with the initial review and with formulating some initial recommendations.
In terms of source information, the last time we reviewed any codes of ethics, we found collections of them at the links the links provided below. These are for all kinds of organizations.
1. The Center for the Study of Ethics in the Professions (http://ethics.iit.edu/research/codes-ethics-collection)
2. Society of Professional Journalists (http://www.spj.org/ethicscode-other.asp)
3. Professional Codes of Ethics for Librarians (http://www.ifla.org/faife/professional-codes-of-ethics-for-librarians)
4. EthicNet (http://ethicnet.uta.fi/)
5. Online Ethics Center for Engineering and Science, National Academy of Engineering (http://www.onlineethics.org/CMS/profpractice/ethcodes.aspx)
6. Codes of Conduct from Around the World, Virginia Tech University (http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs3604/lib/WorldCodes/WorldCodes.html)
7. Center for Applied Ethics, University of British Columbia (http://www.ethicsweb.ca/resources/professional/codes-of-ethics.html)
Check out some of these sources. Select a code of ethics from three different organizations. These organizations should be from different industries - industries that you think might deal with some of the same ethical issues as our firm does.
I will want to know what three codes of ethics you selected and why.
Next, I will want to know some important ways in which these codes are similar and some important ways in which these codes are different.
Finally, I want you to recommend two specific issues that you think would be critical for our organization to consider incorporating or updating in our own code of ethics, particularly as we look to the future. Remember to justify your recommendation.”
This is the criteria:
Each written assignment
will be a response by you to a specific request posed by “your” manager (the
instructor, me). Your response to that
request will be submitted in the form of a memo written to that manager. Each memo should be no more than 2 pages
long, not including citations. The
Written Assignment Grading Rubric is provided at the end of this syllabus and
in the “My Grades” area of Blackboard. A
memo template is provided in Module 1, or you can create your own.
In terms of format,
your memos should be created in Microsoft Word.
Make sure your work adheres to the following requirements:
Use the Microsoft Word Reference and Citation
Manager to handle inserting your in-text citations and “References” page, which
should be in APA format.
Roman Font, 12 point (make sure your header and footer also)
11” document size, with 1” margins all around
Paragraph settings, make sure the box “Don’t add an extra space between
paragraphs of the same style” is checked.
space the entire document, and make sure there are no extra spaces before and
after each line (is in the paragraph settings).