n this writing assignment, you assess your knowledge of the steps to writing a research paper.
A two- to three-page (500- to 750-word) essay
Step 1Conduct research.
Using your course materials and the Internet, locate an article (two to three pages) that takes a stand on your argumentative research topic. Then, locate a second article that takes the opposite or a different stance on your topic. Use the following to guide your research:
- Be sure to select articles that are from reputable sources such as news magazines or scholarly journals.
Step 2Summarize each article.
Your summaries should be neutral; that is, your opinion on the topic should not be evident in either summary.
- What did you learn from the article addressing one side of the issue?
- What did you learn from the article addressing the opposite or a different side of the issue?
- Be sure to cite both articles used in this assignment according to MLA style.
Step 3Prewrite and plan your essay.
Perform prewriting for your paper. Then, use an outline strategy to plan your essay.
Step 4Draft an essay.
Using your plan from Step 3, complete the draft of an essay about the two articles. In your draft, be sure to address the following:
- Your introduction should provide a brief overview of the research topic.
- Your thesis should indicate whether your draft will focus on the similarities, differences, or both between the two articles, and it should prepare readers for the body paragraphs. This draft should also indicate which side you prefer.
- Your body paragraphs should include specific evidence (summaries, paraphrases or quotes) that help readers understand the points you are making.
- Your conclusion should indicate the effects of the disagreements on this topic. Why do these two sides exist? Why is compromise possible/desirable or not?