Activity 8: Evaluating Emotional Appeals
Instructions: In class we discussed a range of different emotions that can be incorporated into
an emotional appeal and tips for doing so effectively. For this activity, you will find an emotional
appeal, identify why it is an emotional appeal, and explain whether it is effective (i.e.,
persuasive). Refer to class notes from Unit 7 (Pathos & Emotional Appeals) as well as the Nabi
(2012) reading to help you complete this activity.
Find an example of an emotional appeal online. It may be an advertisement, commercial/video,
PSA, campaign, newspaper article, etc. Based on the emotional appeal you find, address each of
(1) Provide the link for the emotional appeal.
(2) In one sentence, describe the purpose of the persuasive appeal. In other words, what was
the appeal trying to persuade people to do/think/believe?
(3) In one paragraph, describe the persuasive appeal in detail. (E.g., what images did it use?
What words did it include?)
(4) What emotion did the appeal attempt to arouse? Provide at least three specific elements
from the appeal that support your claim.
(5) Was this appeal effectively persuasive? In other words, did it persuade you? Explain
why/why not (and if it did not persuade you, what could have been added/improved to
This activity must be submitted to eCampus as either a text submission or an attached file no
later than 11:59pm.
Purchase answer to see full