Create a 2-3 page proposal that analyzes your business topic, defines
the scope and strategy for how you will go about your capstone project,
incorporates your BetterUp assessment and coaching, and explains how
your proposed project allows you to demonstrate the MBA program
Based on the feedback you received from faculty on your capstone
summary in Assessment 1, you should now have a firm grasp on the scope
of your project. In fact, if someone asks you what your project is
about, you should have an “elevator speech” prepared. That is, you
should have memorized 1–3 sentences that explain the topic, problem, and
scope in a clear and concise way. With just these few sentences,
explaining your project to someone while on a short elevator ride would
be no trouble at all! Additionally, having such a clear vision will help
you with this assessment and the project overall.
For this assessment, you will formally propose your capstone project
and include a discussion on how you will apply your leadership skills
and where they are relevant in your project. As part of this thought
process, you will take a BetterUp leadership assessment and have a
one-on-one session with a BetterUp coach. This will give you the ability
to discuss how your identified strengths will help you to create a
capstone project that is valuable to you, effectively demonstrates the
program outcomes, and provides a meaningful learning experience.
- Read the information in the BetterUp Assessment and Coaching resources in this assessment.
- Take the BetterUp assessment, and access your results.
- Complete at least one BetterUp coaching session.
- Review the .
Write a business proposal that formally proposes your capstone
project and ends by asking for permission to continue, just as you might
propose a project to a supervisor or client.
Include, at minimum, the following information:
- Analyze a business challenge or opportunity.
- Include an introduction about your proposal.
- Summarize the capstone project topic, scope, and
components; saying that your capstone will comprise a paper and
presentation is not enough.
- Establish the premise of your paper; for example, if your plan
is to talk about how Dillard's department store can come back after a
huge financial loss, you should include citations that establish its
dramatic financial loss.
- Define the strategy, scope, and action plan that you will use to complete the capstone project.
- Provide a general action plan on how you will research, analyze,
and identify recommendations or solutions to this business challenge or
- Discuss the general type of data sources you will be using to
inform your analysis. Provide at least two specific sources that you are
considering. These resources should be from credible sources such as
the Wall Street Journal, IBIS, et cetera. Use the excellent for locating credible resources from the Capella library's business databases and article collections.
- Include the process or steps on how you will access the data necessary for analysis of a business topic or challenge.
- Explain how you will apply your leadership strengths (as
identified in your BetterUp assessment results) and BetterUp coaching
experience to support the various aspects of your project.
- Discuss how you will leverage your strengths, as uncovered in
the BetterUp leadership strengths assessment, to the various aspects of
your project, such as recommendations or business solutions. Also
identify how you will address your leadership gaps that could impact or
weaken your recommendations and solutions.
- Discuss how you can use the leadership coaching to assist you in
completing a capstone project that you feel proud of and that allows
you to effectively demonstrate your leadership skills and achievement of
all program outcomes.
- Address how you can use coaching as a development tool to enable you to grow and develop as a leader.
- Write a conclusion.
- Include a wrap-up that ensures your supervisor/client that your
project will meet all requirements, be valuable to them, and be
completed on time.
- Be sure to conclude by asking for permission to continue to the next step.
Your proposal should be organized using these sections:
- Discussion of the Proposal.
- Strategy and Scope.
- Action Plan.
- Application of BetterUp Assessment Results and Coaching.
- Style: Your proposal should follow professional
style, as described in the corresponding MBA Academic and Professional
Document Guidelines (available in the MBA Program Resources), including
single-spaced paragraphs. It should use subheadings and be well
organized and well written.
- Communication: Ensure written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message and quality.
- APA guidelines: Format your citations according to current APA style.
- Resources: Use at least two citations from credible sources. Also reference your completed BetterUp assessment results.
- Length: Your proposal should be 2–3 pages (single-spaced, professional style).
- Font and font size: Use 12 point, Times New Roman.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate
your proficiency in the following course competencies through
corresponding scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Apply foundational knowledge and an understanding of
business systems, processes, and technology within and across core
- Analyze a business challenge or opportunity.
- Competency 2: Integrate information across disciplines and from differing perspectives.
- Define the strategy, scope, and action plan that will be used to complete the capstone project.
- Explain application of one's leadership strengths (as identified
in BetterUp assessment results) and coaching experience (at least one)
to support the various aspects of the project.
- Competency 7: Communicate clearly and effectively in a business environment.
- Write coherently to support a central idea with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics as expected of a business professional.