Articulate your role as a counselor in developing cultural self-awareness and discuss your gains in self-awareness as a result of this course. Include one example of a gain in your self-awareness at each of the levels of the tripartite model of personal identity: individual, group and universal.
Articulate your role as a counselor in becoming familiar with the characteristics and concerns of diverse populations and integrating culturally supported behaviors that promote optimal wellness and growth of the human spirit, mind, and body, and provide an example of a culturally supported behavior you would integrate into your counseling practice.
Articulate your role in promoting cultural social justice, advocacy, and conflict resolution, and provide an example of advocacy for a client in your specialization area at the individual, community, and national level.
Discuss your goals with respect to continuing your journey to cultural competence and identify at least three steps you will take in the next year toward achieving these goals.
Reading: In Pedersen, Crethar, and Carlson's Inclusive Cultural Empathy: Making Relationships Central in Counseling and Psychotherapy, read Chapter 11, "Conclusion: Developing Multicultural Awareness, Knowledge, and Skill," pages 223–241.
This is what I have thus far
- you have gained cultural awareness by reflecting upon your own culture and how it has shaped your identity, your life choices and your access to education, privileges, and power.
2. counselor familiar with characteristics of diverse populations and promoting wellness (body, mind and spirit)- you will comment on how understanding diversity has made you a better counselor as you can promote holistic wellness. For instance in East Indian culture, religion/faith is important part of the human being. They conceptualize a person as a spiritual being which is different than Western culture. Being familiar with diversity allows you to incorporate a spiritual dimension in your therapeutic practice and conceptualization of the client. This allows for a more thorough and accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.
3. counselor promoting social justice, advocacy, conflict resolution
- you can comment on how cultural awareness has led you to promote social justice and address social inequalities such as access to good health care and education in the USA. As education is defined by real estate (property tax)- nice parts of town will have the money to fund a good education system as there are more tax dollars for such. However, this sets up an unfair education system as access to good education is defined by affluence. Being aware of cultural issues can help you as a therapist to understand how racism can limit choices such as access to good education and perpetuates poverty cycles.
This awareness to social inequality can lead you to advocate and find resolutions to this social inequality
4. Goals for cultural competency- 3 steps:
i) carry a caseload that is diverse in population
ii) attend seminars on diversity and cultural competency
iii) volunteer /or pro bono work in a lower SES area - to develop practical experience with this population