1. Who wrote Don Giovanni?
2. Verdi uses three distinct types of melody in La Traviata, Act 1: declamatory, virtuosic, and
C. twelve tone.
3. Notes in a major key are considered _______ notes.
4. The musical work that depicts an artist being led to his execution is
A. Schubert's "Erlkönig."
B. Master Musicians of the Ikuta-ryu's Cherry Blossom.
C. Cage's 4'33".
D. Berlioz's Symphonie fantastique.
5. What is a term for traditional Turkish finger cymbals common throughout the Middle East?
6. A _______ scale consists of five tones.
7. The _______ is an example of a non-pitched instrument.
8. Which composer was commemorated through a series of enormous concerts in Westminster Abbey that
went on to become an annual festival until 1791?
9. What is the musical term for a verse of poetry in a song?
10. Word painting is a technique commonly used by composers of
A. program music.
11. A _______ is a type of folk song that tells a story.
12. The _______ is a plucked lute with four to six strings and is used to provide a drone.
C. bass guitar
13. The instrument that can create sound digitally and can mimic other instruments by adding partials to the
fundamentals is the
14. The dactylic meter of poetry corresponds to the _______ in music.
A. bar form
C. triple meter
D. duple meter
15. The Broadway musical is descended from the
16. What is the musical term for a prescribed series of pitches that step upward or downward?
17. The music of Philip Glass is written mostly in the _______ style.
18. According to your textbook, which composer is considered to be one of the most radical composers
who ever lived?
19. What term is used to describe the combination of contrasting melodies played at the same time?
20. What is the pattern of the Standard Song Form?
21. Alphonsus wants to include unified timbre in his cantata. How will this be accomplished?
A. The orchestra will play in unison while the chorus sings in harmony.
B. The instruments in the orchestra will play the same notes that the chorus is singing.
C. The violins will have a solo and will all play harmony notes.
D. The chorus will sing in unison while the orchestra plays an accompaniment.
22. The term _______ is an Italian word meaning "joke."
23. The _______ of a song are often referred to as stanzas.
24. A form of polyphony consisting of two or more rhythmically interlocking voices is the
25. When two voices sing exactly the same note simultaneously, the voices are singing
A. a cadenci.
B. a capella.
C. in unison.
D. in a melisma.
26. Melody refers to a pattern of
27. Bach's Cantata no. 140 is an intricate reconstruction of a
A. well-known hymn.
B. Baroque operetta.
C. patriotic song.
D. popular ballet tune.
28. The third movement of a symphony is usually written in _______ form.
29. The term ritornello principle plays a huge part in a
A. concerto grosso.
B. virtuoso cadenza.
30. Which one of the following represents one of the most important elements of sonata form?
A. Use of word painting
B. Doctrine of affects
C. Development of themes
D. Use of Latin texts
31. According to the Rock and Roll Ham of Fame and Museum, "While no individual can be said to have
invented rock and roll, _______ comes the closest to any single figure to being the one who put all the
essential pieces together."
A. Buddy Holly
B. Elvis Presley
C. Jerry Lee Lewis
D. Chuck Berry
32. Which composer drew heavily on northern European mythology, including many of the same sources
used by J. R. R. Tolkien in his Lord of the Rings?
33. Music sung without instrumental accompaniment is called
A. a capella.
C. figured bass.
D. ordo virtutum.
34. In _______ music in a movie, the characters do not hear the music.
35. The Italian word for "prayer hall," which refers to a piece of music that includes recitatives, arias, and
A. opera buffa.
36. Which of the following is a genre for voice and piano that was popular from the late eighteenth century
37. An example of a percussion instrument is the
38. Another word for the "color" of music is
39. Call-and-response form is often used in _______ music.
40. The estampie and the saltarello are two
A. Italian musical instruments.
B. syllabic text-settings.
End of exam
C. medieval dances.
D. African musical instruments