1. The purpose of a program is to provide listeners with
A. an explanation of every detail of the piece.
B. the lyrics of the work.
C. an overview of the dramatic structure of the work.
D. information about who composed the piece and why.
2. The overture to A Midsummer Night's Dream is a one-movement work
A. praised for its virtuosic sonata form.
B. that presents the same basic musical idea in each strophe of the text.
C. famous for the interplay of piano, violin, and cello.
D. known for the massive sound of the orchestra.
3. Which of following composers is depicted in Josef Danhauser's Franz Liszt at the Piano?
4. During which movement in Beethoven's Fifth Symphony do double variations appear?
5. In which of Beethoven's symphonies did he incorporate a chorus singing "Ode to Joy"?
The rhythm of the opening statement of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony is
7. Clara Wieck Schumann's "Forward!" was written for a/an
A. a capella chorus.
B. brass band.
C. full orchestra.
D. madrigal choir.
8. Which composer wrote a movement that might have a hidden text behind it, even though it is for
A. Ludwig van Beethoven
B. Hector Berlioz
C. Felix Mendelssohn
D. Fanny Mendelssohn Hensel
9. Which political song promoted the Civil Rights Movement?
A. "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"
B. "Fortunate Son"
C. "We Shall Overcome"
10. If a sound increases 5 dB, the sound becomes _______ times louder.
11. Who wrote a piece in which the third movement is titled "Scene in the Countryside"?
12. Berlioz provided _______ to his audiences as an overview of the dramatic structure of his work.
13. The oratorio Elijah was written by the nineteenth century composer
A. Franz Schubert.
B. Robert Schumann.
C. Felix Mendelssohn.
D. Clara Wieck Shumann.
14. _______ music is generally associated with nonmusical ideas and objects.
15. What does the term fortissimo mean?
A. Extremely quiet
B. With all force
C. Beginning softly then becoming louder
D. Starting loudly then growing softly
16. In the overture to A Midsummer Night's Dream, the kingdom of the fairies, led by Oberon and Titania,
is represented by the
17. The piano trio has been a popular instrument since the middle of the _______ century.
18. Influenced by Dvořák, _______ is credited as the first American woman to have written a symphony.
A. Amy Marcy Cheney Beach
B. Louise Farrenc
C. Fanny Mendelssohn Hensel
D. Clara Wieck Schumann
19. In his Fifth Symphony, Beethoven
A. varies the use of the wind and string instruments.
B. utilizes the percussion section in a whole new way.
C. introduces the short-LONG-short-LONG rhythm.
D. limits the harmony of the string section.
20. Both Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union prohibited which of the following kinds of music?
End of exam
A. Some types of jazz
B. Italian opera
C. French folksong