factors that influences one to commit suicide include:
Sex- males to female ratio= 4:1 for all age
groups. Meaning that it affects more men than female.
• Age- rates increase with age. Men peaks after 45 vs women 55. *midlife crisis?
• Race- whites > blacks 2:1. rates also higher among immigrants than in natives
Religion- rates lower in Roman Catholics
than among Protestants and Jews
• Marital status- marriage reinforced by children seems to reduce risk significantly. Rates among Previously married > singles (pm= separated, divorced, widowed)
• Work- employment seems to generally reduce rate (jobless > employed). But rates also increase during economic recession, repression
• History of suicide or attempted suicide in the family. ( includes anniversary suicides)
• Previous suicidal behavior- best indicator. Risk highest within 3/12 of 1st attempt
• Physical health- markedly increased rates in chronic illnesses eg CNS (dementia, ms, epilepsy, head injuries), AIDS, Cancer- breast, cervix, prostrate, colon, stomach. L cirrhosis, loss of mobility (spinal injuries), severe burns with disfigurement in women,
• Mental health - substance abuse/dependence eg especially alcohol, cocaine, heroine. – **NB majority (95%) who attempt or commit have a psychiatry/ psychological problem ( 80% depressive disorders, 10% scz, others). – rates 3-12 times higher than in non psychiatry..
• Drugs- long term use of reserpine, some anti hypertensives, corticosteroids, some cytotoxics= symptomatic depression. Alcohol dependence- 15% commit suicide
• Poor personal, family relationships & social isolation.
• Losses-job, finances, income, loved ones,
• Feelings of worthless, hopelessness, helpless accompanied by guilt. Suicidal thoughts, ideas, plans, suicidal notes
• Occupation – the higher the social status the higher the risk/rate but also a fall in social status increases risk. –Medics have higher rates than general population. –most have depression or substance dependence. – often associated with recent professional, personal, family difficulties. –often by drug overdose (availability & toxicity knowledge)
- others at high risk eg lawyers, law enforcement officers, insurance agents, musicians.
Please let me know if you need any clarification. I'm always happy to answer your questions.
Content will be erased after question is completed.