Overview and Rationale
As you complete this course and begin your program it is important to have a clear idea of the industry you want to work in and the role you want to prepare for. You have already done some initial research on a role within data analytics. In this assignment, you will research an industry to learn how big data analytics has changed the industry and what place you would like to play, as a data scientist, in the industry.
This assignment is directly linked to the following key learning outcomes from the course syllabus:
- Articulate the value data analytics provides to a business’ goals and strategies based with respect to the business’ industry.
- Verbalize ethical issues in the field of data analytics with respect to the ethical use of data; the tradeoffs between privacy and utility; and regulation and innovation.
There are two parts to this assignment. In Part 1 you will research and write about the impact Big Data analytics has had on a specific industry. In Part 2, you will present your findings in a presentation to classmates. If this is an online course, you will record yourself making the presentation and post it to the Industry Analysis discussion board.
Begin by selecting one of the industries discussed in this course (i.e., medical, energy, insurance, criminal justice, transportation, etc.) or an industry have an interest in. You are to research the scale, effects, impacts, and disruptions that Big Data analytics have had on the industry.
Write a paper that demonstrates an understanding of the concepts presented in this course by discussing how a specific industry has been effected by big data analytics and the role you are interested in playing within the industry.
Begin by presenting your findings about this industry and answer the following questions:
- How has data analytics evolved specifically in the industry?
- Are there any ways in which big data has disrupted the industry?
- How do you see analytics changing the industry in the future?
Then provide insights into data analytics within the industry by answering the following questions:
- What are the organizational roles associated with data analytics? Are there any that are unique to the industry?
- What is the current demand for data analytics talent in the industry?
Finally, if you are interested in working within the industry, discuss:
- What makes it your ideal career? What specific role would you like to play? Is there a position you aspire to? Why?
- If this is not an industry you wish to work, explain why. Include a discussion of why the available roles do not interest you.
Part 1 Submission Requirements
You will submit a 4-6 page paper that is supported by a minimum of 4 scholarly references. Properly cite all sources you decide to use for your analysis using APA citation rules.