GEOG 130 Online
Activity 2: Geographic Distribution of Undernourishment
Introduction: Undernourishment or malnutrition are conditions where people are unable to have
enough food for energy and nutritional needs to lead a normal life. This activity is a lead-in to the next
presentation and draws upon issues of food security touched on in the previous presentation.
Instructions: Please respond to the questions below. Be sure to use a distinct font color or highlighting
of your responses so I can identify them within the document. Once completed, save your answers and
upload to Blackboard before the deadline.
Use the ArcGIS Online link in the Blackboard menu (left side of the screen).
Log into your ArcGIS Online account
Once signed in, click on “Map” at the top of the screen
Today you’ll be using two maps showing global undernourishment
o Click on the “Add” dropdown menu and select “Search for Layers”
o In the second dropdown menu right below, set the option to ArcGIS Online, if it isn’t
o In the search box, type “Undernourished population by country” and then hit “Enter” on
o In the results, you should see two maps at the top of the list that were produced by the
Maps.com_carto. One of them will be a time-series map from 1990-2010. Add it to your
1. Go to the legend – what does the dark gray color mean? What is the light gray color?
2. Describe the situation in Mexico and Central America from 1999 (the first time frame) to the last
time frame. You can pause the animation and then use the forward and back buttons to move
through the frames manually.
3. Go to the first time frame and click on Haiti. What is the percentage of the population that is
undernourished? Now look at the legend. Describe the problem with the map.
4. Move to the continent of Africa. Turn on the labels for the countries (go to the contents button,
click on the … next to the name of the layer and select “create labels”). Give the names of a
couple of countries that did NOT improve during two consecutive time frames. What were the
percentages of undernourished for the two time frames?
5. Identify an African country that could be considered a success story for this time period. In other
words the country stated in the highest undernourished grouping and then ended in one of the
lower undernourished groupings? What was their starting percentage and their ending
6. What is the undernourished percent of the population in the US for the last time frame?
7. What has been the situation with Afghanistan over this 20 year time span?
Purchase answer to see full