Answer the following problems showing your work and explaining (or analyzing) your results.
- Describe the measures of central tendency. Under what condition(s) should each one be used?
- Last year, 12 employees from a computer company retired. Their ages at retirement are listed below. First, create a stem plot for the data. Next, find the mean retirement age. Round to the nearest year.
55 77 64 77 69 63 62 64 85 64 56 59
- A retail store manager kept track of the number of car magazines
sold each week over a 10-week period. The results are shown below.
27 30 21 62 28 18 23 22 26 28
- Find the mean, median, and mode of newspapers sold over the 10-week period.
- Which measure(s) of central tendency best represent the data?
- Name any outliers.
- Joe wants to pass his statistics class with at least a 75%. His
prior four test scores are 74%, 68%, 84% and 79%. What is the minimum
score he needs on the final exam to pass the class with a 75% average?
- Nancy participated in a summer reading program. The number of books read by the 23 participants are as follows:
10 9 6 2 5 3 9 1 6 3 10 4 7 6 3 5 6 2 6 5 3 7 2
|Number of books read
- Complete the frequency table.
- Find the mean of the raw data.
- Find the median of the raw data.
- The chart below represents the number of inches of snow for a seven-day period.
- Find the mean, median, and mode.
- Which is the best measure of central tendency?
- Remove Wednesday from the calculations. How does that impact the three measures of central tendency?
- Describe the effect outliers have on the measures of central tendency.
- A dealership sold 15 cars last month. The purchase price of the
cars, rounded to the nearest thousand, is represented in the table.
||Number of cars sold
- Find the mean and median of the data.
- Which measure best represents the data? Use the results to support your answer.
- What is the outlier and how does it affect the data?
8. What do the letters represent on the box plot?
9. The test scores from a math final exam are as follows:
64 85 93 55 87 90 73 81 86 79
- Create a box plot using the data.
- Label the five points on the box plot and include numerical answers from part "a."
10. Using the data and results from Question 9, answer the following questions.
- What is the median?
- What is the range?
- What is the interquartile range?
- In a short paragraph, describe the data in the box plot.
Submit your work by the module due date. If you are having difficulty, please contact your professor.