1. In economic downturns, forecasters may witness rising sales
in which of the following industries?
automobiles and housing
fast food and
2. Costco has been successful in part due to its unique
approach to staffing. Which of the following statements correctly explains its
approach in this area?
employees with in-store experience and sponsors them to take graduate-level
only managers who have worked for its competitors.
employees’ jobs while they pursue business school degrees on their own.
business school graduates directly out of college.
3. All of the following are considered semi controllable forces
4. Depending on its goals, an organization can be classified
mature, or social good
for-profit, or not-for-profit
governmental, or for-profit
for-profit, or governmental
5. In assessing a company’s environment, SWOT analysis
workplace, operations, and threats
opportunities, and threats
weaknesses, openings, and trends
workplace, opportunities, and trends
6. Diehard Sneakers’ quality control team analyzes how often
their product is returned because of defects. What kind of assessment is this?
7. Which of the following is NOT a skill the authors say
managers must have to be successful?
8. Howard is the CEO of Run! Jump! Sing!, a chain of indoor
play gyms for toddlers and preschoolers. After repeatedly hearing from gym
staff that several children have been hurt in the bounce house play area,
Howard decides to remove all bounce houses from Run! Jump! Sing!
establishments. What kind of assessment is this most likely described as?
9. Which of the following lists correctly identifies the
five management functions?
staffing, leading, controlling, and financing
organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling
staffing, leading, and financing
staffing, leading, controlling, and budgeting
10. Which of the following is NOT one of the steps involved
in managerial planning?
company’s internal and external environments.
goals to pursue.
strategies, tactics, and operational plans to achieve goals.
performance at the strategic, tactical, and operational level.