1. Review your notes for Isserman and Kazin, “Why Did the United States Fight
in Vietnam?” and for my lecture about the Cold War and the Vietnam War
(The Vietnam War, Part 1 week). Outline for yourself an answer to this
• Why did the U.S. aid South Vietnam?
2. Write the first paragraph of the assignment in response to the question.
Your topic sentence needs to be a direct answer to the question and might
The United States aided South Vietnam for several reasons.
You do not
have to use this example sentence. To write the rest of the paragraph, you
need to supply evidence from the Isserman-Kazin article and from my
lecture. To do this you must:
• Identify the source of your information by beginning a sentence like this:
Historians Maurice Isserman and Michael Kazin write that the United
States aided South Vietnam because or Historian Robert Morrow
explains that the United States aided South Vietnam because.
• For the sentences that follow this one, you do not need to identify your
source as long as you are still drawing on Isserman and Kazin or
Morrow, but, if and when you switch to your other source, you need to
identify the source in a similar manner to above.
• You need to explain the evidence in a way that makes it obvious how the
evidence relates to the topic sentence you have written.
• Your paragraph should be at least five sentences in length, including the
3. Review your notes for the four documents we read in Takin’ It to the Streets:
• George Skakel, “One Soldier's View: Vietnam Letters”
• Paul Potter, “The Incredible War”
• Martin Luther King, Jr., “Declaration of Independence from the War in
• John Kerry, “Vietnam Veterans Against the War”
Outline for yourself an answer to this question:
• What reasons did opponents of the war give for their opposition to the
United States involvement in South Vietnam’s civil war?
4. Write the second paragraph of the assignment in response to the question.
Your topic sentence needs to be a direct answer to the question. The more
of these four critics of the war that you can include in your paragraph the
better. As you bring in reasons for their opposition, you must make it clear
which of the men is making the argument that you are explaining. You also
must make it clear how the reasons fit with your topic sentence. This
second paragraph also should be at least five sentences in length, including
the topic sentence.
5. Type up your two paragraphs and be sure that they conform to these rules:
• They must be typed, double-spaced, with your name at the top of the
• They must be written entirely in your own words. USE NO
• They must not include any information taken from any source other than
those assigned in the class. USE NO INTERNET SOURCES TO WRITE