Annotated Bibliography Assignment
A bibliography is a list of sources
(books, journals, Web sites, periodicals, etc.) one has used for researching a
topic. Bibliographies are sometimes called "References" or
"Works Cited" depending on the style format you are using. A
bibliography usually just includes the bibliographic information (i.e., the
author, title, publisher, etc.).
An annotation is a summary and/or
evaluation. Therefore, an annotated
bibliography includes a summary and/or evaluation of each of the sources.
For this assignment,
you will create an annotated bibliography of 10-12 sources related to your topic. Be sure to use scholarly sources (avoid
Wikipedia, blogs, and other sources that are not peer-reviewed.)
directions for writing and formatting your annotated bibliography.
your specific research question and thesis statement at the top of the page.
each source, provide bibliographic information in APA format (see research
skills tutorial for more info about formatting.)
each source’s bibliographic information, write an annotation that summarizes
and assesses the source. Each annotation
should be at least five sentences in length and include:
of the type of source (academic
journal article, book, etc.)
of the source (some ways to think about the summary are: What are the main
arguments? What is the point of this book or article? What topics are covered?
If someone asked what this article/book is about, what would you say?)
explanation of how the source contributes to your understanding of your
Assignment Outline below
Topic: What is the relationship between Violence and Mental Health?
Part One :Introduction
2. Mental Health
3. What are some factors that make a person become violent?
4. How are people diagnosed with Mental Health Illnesses?
Subtopic: Are mentally ill people considered to be Violent?
1. What percentage of mentally ill people are violent?
2. Which Mental health disorders are the most violent?
3. What percentage of mental ill people are victims from domestic violence and what are the long/short term affect it has on them?
Subtopic: Examples of intersections of violence and mental illness
1. Domestic Violent
2. Child Abuse
3. Mass Shootings
1. What people think of when they hear mental health?
2. What people should know about violence, domestic violence and mental health?
3. What are some practices or polices that can help inform the public about the relationship between violence and mental health?