• Each student will complete a career exercise that includes a vision board and a mind map to help you identify a “dream job or jobs” that you may be interested in pursuing at some point in your career. You will analyze your vision board and mind map to identify your skills, values, and interests. Next, you will brainstorm occupations, organizations, and industries that may be a good fit for your skills, values, and interests. Next, you will think about how you can turn your dream job into reality. After completing your vision board you will answer the 10 sets of questions listed below. The individual project is worth 25 points or 5% of the grade.
• For the Vision Board:
◦ Bring 10 pictures that resonate with you. These are picture that are connected to who you are as a person, things that are important to you, represent your terminal or instrumental values, or represent something you admire or aspire to.
◦ Bring 5 pictures of people who are your heroes, who you admire, or who influence you.
◦ Think of 5 words that represent you. You may find them in magazines, print them out from the web, or print them out on a piece of paper.
◦ We will construct the vision boards in class, so be sure to bring your materials with you to class. I will bring the paper, glue, and tape.
• For the Mind Map:
◦ The next step is to analyze your vision board to see what it reveals about your skills, values, and interests. Identify and list 5 skills, 5 values, and 5 interests that are reflected in your vision board.
◦ Next you will analyze your vision board to identify and list 5 occupations, 5 industries, and 5 organizations that may be a good fit for your skills, values, and interests.
◦ Finally, pick 1 occupation, 1 industry, and 1 company where you might turn your dream job into reality.