HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS:
Assignment 2: Gene Technology
Due Week 7 and worth 120 points
Gene technology carries with it social and ethical implications—many of which engender personal views and discussion.
Select one (1) of the following biotechnology topics to write about:
- Genetically modified crop plants
- Genetically modified microorganisms
- Genetically modified animals
- Personal genomics and / or personalized medicine for humans
- Gene therapy
a four to six (4 to 6) page paper on your chosen topic. Organize your
paper into sections corresponding to the following requirements:
- Biological basis.
Describe the technology. Discuss what it accomplishes. Elaborate on the
scientific principles that make this technology possible. Your goal in
this section of the paper is to show the instructor that you understand
the underlying science behind the technology. Describe how exactly the
technology works. Discuss the biological principles that underlie this
- Social and ethical implications.
Without disclosing your personal view about this technology, provide an
analysis of its social and ethical implications. State the ethical
concerns apparent in the use of this technology. Discuss the benefits
and risks. Your goal in this section is to look at all sides of the
issue. In the next section, you will give your opinion. In the next
section, you will give your opinion as to whether you believe
genetically modified organisms will affect biodiversity in both animals
and plants in the near future?
- Debate it. Debate
whether you believe genetically modified organisms should be labeled or
whether you believe that for personalized medicine and gene therapy
genetic information should be incorproated into data to advance the
field and possibly fuel advancements for therapeutic development.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment, in addition to the course text. Note:
Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources. The
body of the paper must have in-text citations that correspond to the
references. Integrate all sources into your paper using proper
techniques of quoting, paraphrasing and summarizing, along with proper
use of in-text citations to credit your sources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with
one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA
or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover
page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Examine DNA structure, and function, gene expression, and control.
- Discuss the various applications of genomics and biotechnology.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in biology.
- Write clearly and concisely about biology using proper writing mechanics.
HERE IS A LIST OF RESOURCES TO USE
•Genetically modified crop plants
• Genetically modified animals
• Personalized medicine/personalized genomics