“From Gorbachev to Putin: Contemporary Russian Culture”
Prof. Olga Mesropova
Final Paper guidelines
For your final paper, please select one of the topics below and write a 5-7 page research paper.
Note that I am not looking for a 5-page description of an event or a particular issue. A higher
grade will be given to a paper that places this specific issue within broader contexts of Russian
culture and society that you learned in this class or that you researched independently on your
own. In other words, a successful paper will not only show that you have conducted a detailed
research of the specific issue from the list below, but will also demonstrate a solid mastery of a
range of issues from various parts of this course. Your paper must cite and incorporate at least
3 reputable sources (please note that wikipedia articles do not constitute an acceptable
source). Please consult the list of sources on p. 2 of this document for suggestions of sources
you could use.
Please select one (1) of the following topics:
1. “Sovereign Internet” dilemma in Russia: origins and implications for today’s Russian
2. Pension protests in Russia – origins and implications.
3. What's up with LinkedIn in Russia? What other social media platforms exist in Russia? What
are the governmental policies in their regard?
4. Who is Ruslan Sokolovsky and why is unsafe to play “Pokemon Go” in an Orthodox Church?
5. Kirill Serebrennikov and “Gogol Center:” why was Serebrennikov arrested? What’s the status
of his case now?
6. Telegram app – “messenger of choice for ‘international terrorist organisations in Russia’”?
What are the reasons behind the ban?
7. Eurovision song contest: what happened with Russia’s entry in 2017 and 2018?
8. Recent Russian law against swearing in films, theatre and the media – what is the story with
9. Foreign adoptions and Dima Yakovlev law. Could an American citizen today adopt a child
List of suggested sources:
1) Johnshon’s Russia List (russialist.org). Hands down, this is the most comprehensive list of
English-language coverage of Russian affairs and daily life. Note that you can subscribe to the
list via the “Follow the JRL” link.
2) Radio Free Europe Radio Liberty (www.rfefl.org). English-language news focused on issues
of democracy and human rights.
3) The Moscow Times (themoscowtimes.com). The only independent English-language daily
published in Russia.
4) Russia-related news published in The Washington Post (washingtonpost.com) or The New
York Times (nytimes.com).
5) Russia Matters project supported by Harvard University and Carnegie Corporation (note that
you can subscribe to receive Russia-related news to your email):
Please include a reference to or citation of the specific materials you used in each entry by
providing a link to the sources used (you are also welcome to cite the complete publication
information [author, title, year]).
GENERAL PAPER GUIDELINES.
1. Please come up with a title for your paper. Make your title as precise and descriptive as
2. Make sure your paper begins with a specific thesis statement that puts forth a particular,
focused argument. The remainder of your paper should develop this argument through the
use of evidence, citations, and examples from primary material.
3. Your paper needs to be 5 – 7 pages long, double-spaced, in a 12-point font with 1-inch
4. When you do cite / consult anything, be sure to give full and proper citation (this also refers
to any internet sources, interviews, or reviews).
5. The paper needs to be submitted in a Word document format – formats other than word will
not be accepted. Please note also: once you hit the "submit" button, you will not be able to
re-submit your paper. Make sure that your paper is 100% complete and ready to go before
you make the final submission. Paper re-submissions will not be allowed. No emailed
submissions will be accepted for any reason, no exceptions.
6. Make sure you abide strictly by the University rules about academic dishonesty.
7. LATE PAPERS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED and the student will receive a zero (F) for this
assignment. No exceptions for any reasons (including reasons such as internet crashing or
paper getting lost in Cyberspace).
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Purchase answer to see full