Imagine that you are a contracts officer for the Internal Revenue Services (IRS), and that your supervisor has tasked you with the procurement of a new software system for processing tax returns. You have recognized that contract administration involves those activities performed by government officials after they award a contract. Once an award is made, contractors receive the contract, which includes provisions to minimize the risk and define rights and obligations, from the Internal Revenue Service.
Review Federal Acquisition Review (FAR) “52.246-1 Contractor Inspection Requirements”.
Note: You may create and/or make all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Evaluate the importance of the standard default clause. As a contracts officer for the IRS, suggest two (2) ways in which you could combine the standard default clause with the FAR’s delay provision for the protection of both parties to the contract.
- Speculate on the impact that a contracting officer’s changes to the payment terms within the software contract would exert upon both the government and the contractor. Analyze the requirements for a contracts officer to successfully effectuate a change order on behalf of the government. Conclude whether or not the change order is the most secure method for making a contractual change. Justify your response.
- Examine the inspection criteria that FAR 52.246-1 articulates, and discuss the necessity of each requirement. As a contracts officer for the IRS, suggest two (2) improvements that you could make to the inspection procedure in order to make the procedure more efficient.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia does not qualify as an academic resource.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify and apply the appropriate Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) clauses to meet compliance in contracting actions and dispute resolution requirements.
- Explain the basic elements and compliance issues of the federal procurement framework (contract formulation, solicitation, costs, payment, financing, administration, and closeout).
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in procurement and contract law.
- Write clearly and concisely about procurement and contract law using correct grammar and mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills. Click here to access the rubric for this assignment.