Assignment 1: Disaster Recovery Plan
Due Week 6 and worth
You are an administrator for the Contoso Corporation. The Contoso Corporation
has two (2) large sites. The corporate office is in New York and the
manufacturing site is in Cleveland, Ohio. In addition, the Contoso Corporation
has five (5) smaller sites.
At the Corporate site, you currently have eight (8) physical Hyper-V hosts
that host approximately one hundred twenty (120) virtual machines. The virtual
machines are running Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012. The servers
are needed to host email, various databases, file services, print services, and
a point-of sales-application. The virtual machines are stored on a centrally
located storage area network (SAN) that has multiple power supplies, and use
redundant array of independent disks (RAID).
Over the last three (3) years, you have had two (2) power failures that
caused the servers to go down at the corporate office. Recently, during one (1)
of these incidents, files on one (1) of the servers were corrupted. It was later
discovered that the backup could only partially restore the data files, but
could not restore the server itself.
The servers must remain available and reliable. As the administrator, you
must ensure that you can recover from a failure or problem quickly with minimum
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Develop a continuity plan / disaster recovery plan for Contoso Corporation
in which you address the following:
- Suggest an approach that provides redundancy (failover) for all mission
critical functions in the event of a disaster including power failure. Consider
the following in your approach: Essential Infrastructure; Email; Database; File
Services; Print Services; Point-of-Sale Applications; Power Redundancy
- Identify the changes that should be made to the backup procedures in order
to address the problem with the server backups.
- Outline the necessary actions that Server Administrators must verify for
proper operation of servers in the event of a failover.
- Provide a plan for returning all services back to the primary systems once
the crisis has passed.
- Examine the pros and cons of moving part of the data center to the Cleveland
office and housing it there on a permanent basis. Provide your recommendation
for the stated action.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Demonstrate the ability to describe, manage, and configure load balancing
and failover clustering.
- Demonstrate the ability to configure and manage backups to include
role-specific and online or cloud environments.
- Demonstrate the ability to recover servers to include files and
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in advanced
network infrastructure environments.
- Write clearly and concisely about advanced network infrastructure topics
using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.