Running head: OPERATING SYSTEM
Computer Systems Overview
1. The processor controls the operations of a computer and performs its data processing
2. It is not possible for a communications interrupt to occur while a printer interrupt is being
3. A system bus transfers data between the computer and its external environment.
4. Cache memory is invisible to the OS
5. With interrupts, the processor cannot be engaged in executing other instructions while an
I/O operation is in progress.
6. Digital Signal Processors deal with streaming signals such as audio and video.
7. The fetched instruction is loaded into the Program Counter.
8. Interrupts are provided primarily as a way to improve processor utilization.
9. The interrupt can occur at any time and therefore at any point in the execution of a user
10. Over the years, memory access speed has consistently increased more rapidly than
11. An SMP can be defined as a stand-alone computer system with two or more similar
processor of comparable capacity.
12. The Program Status word contains status information in the form of condition codes,
which is typically set by the programmer as a result program operation.
13. An example of a multicore system is the Intel Core i7.
14. In a two-level memory hierarchy, the Hit Ratio is defined as the fraction of all memory
accesses found in the slower memory.
15. The operating system acts as an interface between the computer hardware and the human
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The four main structural elements of a computer system are:
A) Processor, Main Memory, I/O Modules and System Bus
2. The __ Program Counter (PC)_______ holds the address of the next instruction to be
Sign up to view the full answer