Thank you for the opportunity to help you with your question!
The Electoral system of the US works in the following ways:
- Each state gets a number of electors equal to its number of members in the US.
- Each elector gets one vote, so a state of eight electors will cast eight votes, there are currently 538 electors and a majority of 270 votes are required approximately. Therefore it is based on congressional representation, that is the states with larger populations have more Electoral college votes.
- If any candidate fails to secure a majority than according to 12th Amendment, election is decided by the House of representatives. The combine representative of each state get one vote and a simple majority is required to win.
The major cons of the Electoral college are as follow:
- There is a possibility of electing a minor president that by absolute majority as occurred in 1824 due to political glitches or a major popular support by the public
- The risk of faithless Electors.
- The possible role of the electoral college in depressing voter turn outs.
- The failure to accurately reflect the national popularity will.
The major pros of the Electoral college are as :
- contributes to the cohesiveness of the country by requiring a distribution of popular support to be elected president
- enhances the status of minority interests,
- contributes to the political stability of the nation by encouraging a two-party system, and
- maintains a federal system of government and representation.
As there have been various alternatives to destroy the current system, it was not successful due to the new systems proposed being more problematic. The major fact that Electoral College was actually designed by the Founding fathers to solve problems have taken a new dimension altogether and hence this must be restored back so that it serves in the best interest of the country and for personal gains. The proposal would be to eliminate any minority grounds and set a limit of age, and dedicate in solving problems of the masses so that the problem of faithless Electors do not come as a backdrop in the system to elect an efficient and liable government. Yes it does answer to the pros and cons suggested.
Please let me know if you need any clarification. I'm always happy to answer your questions.