Identify a news article that discusses a current event or social issue that relates to your field of study. Follow the instructions below to explain the issue, provide an additional example of the issue, connect the issue to your field of study, and pose questions about the issue.
Source: One news article, available through the UMUC library, published within the past 12 months.
Length: Responses to individual questions should follow the guidelines below, and the entire completed assignment should be at least 700 words.
Due date and grading: This assignment is due by the end of Week 2. It will be graded with a rubric and will count for 10% of your course grade. To view the grading rubric, please access the assignment through the Assignments area of the classroom.
Outcomes you should achieve by completing this assignment
As you complete the tasks required for this assignment, you will be working toward several of the course outcomes:
- Begin the writing process by exploring a topic (Relates to course outcome 1)
- Compose paragraphs that explain an event or issue (Relates to course outcome 2)
- Demonstrate accurate grammar and mechanics in writing (Relates to course outcome 3)
- Identify a recent and reliable news source and provide APA documentation (Relates to course outcome 4)
Formatting your assignment
Incorporate these elements of APA style:
- Use one-inch margins.
- Double space.
- Use an easy-to-read font between 10-point and 12-point.
Note: Title page is not required, but make sure you include your name and a title that reflects your topic at the top of the first page.
Number your answers and/or include the assignment questions so your instructor can see that you addressed each part of the assignment.
Respond to each of the following.
1. Provide an APA-style reference for the news article you selected. The format for the reference is as follows:
Author, A. A. (Year, Month Day). Title of article in sentence case. Title of Newspaper in Title Case and Italics. Retrieved from http://www.newspaperhomepage.com