Assignment 2: Managing a Merger
Due Week 10 and worth 140
Imagine you work for Quality Corporation (Quality.ad) who has just recently
bought Crescent Inc. (Crescent.ad) in a recent merger. Quality and Crescent have
separate offices in St. Louis (Quality HQ), Little Rock, and Austin (Crescent
HQ). Crescent also has offices in Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and Santa Fe. The desire
is to establish trusts between the two (2) AD forests and consolidate core
services (DNS, DHCP, etc.) as soon as possible. Both companies are running
Server 2012 as Domain Controllers. Their primary DNS, DHCP, and Domain
Controller servers are in the two (2) corporate headquarters with secondary
servers located in the other cities to reduce latency.
For the Quality.ad domain, the Flexible Single Master Operation (FMSO) roles
are located on Server01, which is located at the Quality HQ. For the Crescent.ad
domain, the FSMO roles are located on RWDC01, which is located at the Crescent
HQ. In addition, the Quality.ad domain has several servers configured as a
Certificate Authority, and the Crescent.ad domain has a single Certificate
During this acquisition, you will need to consider the following:
- The Crescent Inc. has developed several enhancements for the widgets that
your company produces. The engineering documents are installed on the ServerDocs
located at the Austin office. You will need to configure the necessary systems
so that the engineers from Quality Corporation can access these documents. Since
these documents are considered proprietary and highly confidential, you must
ensure that no other users except the two (2) engineering teams can access these
documents and that the documents stay within the company.
- For both organizations, all user IDs and digital certificates from the other
organization must be recognized.
Write a six to eight (6-8) page paper in which you:
- Explain the key considerations behind establishing trust relationships
between the two (2) domains.
- Suggest a method for consolidating Core Network services.
- Provide a plan for integrating both AD forests eliminating duplication of
service wherever possible.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or
school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required assignment page
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Describe, manage, and install Active Directory replication, federation
services, and certificate services.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan an advanced AD, DHCP, and DNS solution.
- Describe and plan for configuring a domain and forest as well as configuring
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in advanced
network infrastructure environments.
- Write clearly and concisely about advanced network infrastructure topics
using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic /
organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following