NR 443: Community Health Nursing
•Heroin, alternatively known as diamorphine (Rang, et al., 2015), is
an opioid that is mainly used as a recreational drug due to its
•In 2016, Cook County reported 1,081 opioid-related deaths ; 340
in Suburban Cook and 741 in Chicago (CCPH, 2018).
•The rate of opioid-associated deaths in Cook County stands at
13.7 per 100,000 (CCPH, 2018). This is the lowest rate in the state.
•In both 2015 and 2016, heroin facilitated most overdose deaths
in Cook County (60.6%) and Chicago (65.7%).
• The use and abuse of opioid is not a new phenomenon. It is a
problem that has been prevalent in society since 1991.
• Opioid-associated deaths began to increase after a sharp rise in the
prescription of opioid for pain treatment.
• The highest rise in opioid-associated deaths was in 2016 which saw
the demise of 20,000 individuals from fentanyl (Soto, 2019).
• The sharp rise in fentanyl deaths has been associated with illegally
manufactured fentanyl (Soto, 2019) .
• Individuals who use prescribed opioid often resort to heroin due its
accessibility and affordability if they c...
15 Million Students Helped!
Sign up to view the full answer